Should I quit now, or keep working?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
BRUTE

Re: Should I quit now, or keep working?

Post by BRUTE »

success. awesome :)

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

Although you've found an arrangement already, my vote would have been to keep working. Get that extra money while it's there. It will grow over time and give you more options in 10, 15, 30 years when that money has turned to a few extra million. You've come this far, what's another year? Two? Three? Unless you have some serious health issues, I say keep working and get that extra buffer.

That's what I'm doing myself. I have 700K and I'm still in the grind. I figure a few years extra work yes it sucks, but not as bad as being broke, and that money will compound over time and net me more money so I never have to worry about going back to work. I mean, while leave a high paying job most people would kill for?

Unless you're starting to get fired or laid off regularly, I would keep working as long as you can stomach it. Heck I know people who work a job for 1-2 years until they get fired then they repeat the process elsewhere. A paycheck for two more years, is what one of them said to me. It actually makes sense. They just keep doing this until they are too old to get work anymore.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Congratulations! Where to now?

Also, I would completely disregard the above post. Take your freedom. There's much more to life than a high salary. Don't fall prey to the golden handcuffs.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Congratulations C40, that seems like a great outcome. You get to both enjoy more free time and increase your financial buffer. Sounds like you are in a great position going forward.

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

I've considered the camper thing, though I'd do it a little differently, renting out the rooms in my house so that I can always come back at a moments notice and pick up where I left off. I see nice travel trailers for $5K on CL fairly regularly. That and a 10K suv and I'm set to travel and explore for a while, letting my nest egg grow. When I get tired I'd just return to my house, decide whether to keep the boarders or not.