Adult Braces?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

Adult Braces?

Post by TopHatFox »

Gonna visit the ortho this monday to see if I can fix ye olde overbite without surgery.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/65204481.jpg

If that's the case, I'm wondering how having braces will impact work life. I usually wouldn't give a crap what people think, unless of course it makes it harder for me to land a job post-college, or get promotions once hired. It would seem like there are more important things to worry about, however, such as quality of work, certifications, etc.

Thoughts? Have any of you or your co-workers had braces during their stint in work land? I'd likely get the clear ceramic ones.
--------------------------

Oo, another important thing is that I might have to transfer my ortho treatment if approved since I'll only be in current area for exactly one year. I suppose I could wait 'till I move to my post-grad city to start the treatment, since transferring might require more $$. On the flip side, waiting could be detrimental to the teeth as they tend to grind in their current position, and I do not 100% wear a guard every night. Monday will be insightful.

EdithKeeler

Re: Adult Braces?

Post by EdithKeeler »

I had two different bosses who both had braces in their late 40's/early 50's. No impact on their worklife that I could see...

You might want to look into the the braces-less tooth straightening.
http://www.invisalign.com/how-do-i-get-it

I've had a couple of friends that used these successfully, and there was something in the news not long ago about a guy who did his own with a three-D printer.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... teeth.html

Chris

Post by Chris »

Can braces fix an overbite? I have an overbite, and the orthodontist said the only solution was to break my jaw (I opted out).

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Chris wrote:Can braces fix an overbite? I have an overbite, and the orthodontist said the only solution was to break my jaw (I opted out).
One orthodontist I went to said it depends on what stage of growth one is in. But yeah, I imagine surgery is more likely to fix an overbite than braces.

I'm not 100% sure how overbite surgery works, but I would have a problem with it (besides the friggin' cost) if screws, wires, and rubber bands are placed in my body that need to stay in there permanently. I wouldn't mind so much if they're only there for a temporary while to help the jaw adjust to a new position. I don't think I'd even mind the pain or the fact that the jaw gets broken, because it would heal; I simply don't like the idea of permanently placing foreign material besides food into the human body (I imagine the body would protest some way, maybe through infection, breaking the hardware, absorbing it, etc.).

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Zalo wrote:
Chris wrote:Can braces fix an overbite? I have an overbite, and the orthodontist said the only solution was to break my jaw (I opted out).
One orthodontist I went to said it depends on what stage of growth one is in. But yeah, I imagine surgery is more likely to fix an overbite than braces.

I'm not 100% sure how overbite surgery works, but I would have a problem with it (besides the friggin' cost) if screws, wires, and rubber bands are placed in my body that need to stay in there permanently. I wouldn't mind so much if they're only there for a temporary while to help the jaw adjust to a new position. I don't think I'd even mind the pain or the fact that the jaw gets broken, because it would heal; I simply don't like the idea of permanently placing foreign material besides food into the human body (I imagine the body would protest some way, maybe through infection, breaking the hardware, absorbing it, etc.).

As someone who know's people who had metal placed into their body to fix injuries (breaking knees, etc.) the main thing to worry about would be metal expaning or shrinking because of temperature and pressure changes. Most screw and permanent objects are going to designed with getting around those problems in mind.