Meditating at work

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
slog

Meditating at work

Post by slog »

When I cajole myself into it I've liked the effects of meditation (focusing on the breath and clearing the mind opposed to the stoic). My uncle taught me when I was a child and I have come back to it and lost it in long cycles over the years. I'm trying to find a method that will make practice routine and hopefully anchor it into my lifestyle. I'm also hoping I can mitigate a daily burnt out feeling that generally accompanies the end of a work day and contaminates my evenings. Upping focus while on the job would be another plus. While I am in no-ways confusing naps with meditation, I'm inspired by polyphasic sleep descriptions to try interspersing quick bouts of meditation throughout the day. To start I'll target two sessions of five minute per day. When the weather is nice I'll probably just go outside to a bench but think I can make it work indoors without too much attention. I'm lucky enough that my office space has no through traffic and I have a handwritten sign that states "meditating....5 minutes" that I place on my hands/lap to keep visitors from thinking I am unconscious.

Has anyone else still on the day job side of things incorporated meditating into the workday?
Any thoughts that quick bouts may be losing all the benefits? From the few times I've tried it I still feel like I've come to a nice reset state after the five minutes.

Tyler9000

Re: Meditating at work

Post by Tyler9000 »

I'm not much of a meditation expert, but the thing that has always helped me is walking outside once a day in the middle of the afternoon. I concentrate on the sound of the wind and trees, and make a concerted effort to turn off my brain for a while. It's hardest to do when I need it most, so it takes practice. But it helps a lot.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

slog wrote:...Has anyone else still on the day job side of things incorporated meditating into the workday?
I've done a 'Coffee Meditation' for some time first thing in the morning.
'clears my head before starting the work day.

Bonus: It also helps me to enjoy my meals more, so I'm more appreciative of my meals when I remember my morning meditation.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I also take multiple walk breaks outside. Probably 2-3 times per day.

This might also help. Sort of a game.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, since I went to a Warrior-style diet and am not eating at lunchtime, I try to do ten minutes of meditation in the middle of the day, with some deep breathing before and after. It doesn't happen every day, though.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

My experience was it makes me indifferent to finishing my work. Good for my stress levels, terrible for my productivity.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

cmonkey wrote:I also take multiple walk breaks outside. Probably 2-3 times per day.

This might also help. Sort of a game.
speaking of game, brute just lost it. three years. three years. sigh.

slog

Post by slog »

I've usually used walking as an opportunity to socialize. Maybe a mid-morning walk by myself is in order to break up the bigger part of my day. Start my day between 6:30 and 7:00 and usually don't break for lunch until 12:00.

@FBeyer: Never thought to try it first thing in the morning sounds like it could make the start of the day much nicer.

@Scott: that's interesting. Without the stress no urgency to get things done? I've wondered if a consistent practice and learning to focus on nothing would translate to learning to focus on things I'm not very interested in.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Yep, my experience was once in a happy tranquil place, there's little incentive to change.

Focusing on something has always come easily to me, provided I care to. It's the caring I struggle with. Stress provides that.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

BRUTE wrote:speaking of game, brute just lost it. three years. three years. sigh.
?

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

Scott 2 wrote: Focusing on something has always come easily to me, provided I care to. It's the caring I struggle with. Stress provides that.
Amen to that.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

enigmaT120 wrote:
BRUTE wrote:speaking of game, brute just lost it. three years. three years. sigh.
?
don't click the link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)