Best way to quit without burning bridges?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
JL13

Best way to quit without burning bridges?

Post by JL13 »

My current position is providing me nothing of value (other than the generous paycheck). I've put feeler's out for a new job but if it doesn't pan out I'm planning to leave anyway.

Typically "I found a another job" is an acceptable excuse and has some finality to it. Everyone can appreciate accepting a competing offer because a higher salary/promotion is implicit.

In this case, my excuse is more like "I want to take some time off" or "I want to travel", which doesn't have the same finality as if I was taking another job. I'm concerned it may turn into a negotiation, which I don't know how to handle without possibly describing my unhappiness with the job. I'm concerned that my boss(es) may take that personally.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Best way to quit without burning bridges?

Post by jacob »

I've been there more than once.

"Pursuing other interests" does seem to be an explanation that's acceptable to everyone. (Leaver and leavee). Might even be available as a "check box". I've found that the fear of burning bridges is overrated. I'm still on a friendly basis with those I left [behind]. However, I've never tried to return to a previous career, so there's that ...

I have mixed experienced in terms of using the exit interview as an opportunity to express how I really feel (Generally not recommended but so far bosses have agreed with me) and just punting on it with a bunch of platitudes. Mileage probably varies. If any holds it's the fact the people move on really quickly. I've been completely expendable in each and every career I've quit so far.

TL;DR - I suspect we tend to overthink it.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I agree with Jacob. Give notice. Use the same courtesy you have in previous years, try not to leave a filing cabinet full of unlabeled, unfinished work where your replacement will have to find it and tell everyone you clearly did nothing your last year.

Don't do donuts on the office lawn (why do I have to keep reminding myself of this?)

If you have any specialized functions, sum them up in word docs, so they can be handed off to replacements.

Try to pretend to enjoy the cheap cake at your retirement party!

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Tell them you loved it, but you are going to try to take advantage of a new opportunity. That is what I've told every employer I've left.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I've always just told them it's time for me to move on. While I appreciate the "opportunities" that have been given to me, I feel personally that I need to move on to my next "opportunity". Seems to have been fine. Lots of them still are willing to give me references. :lol: