Best way to get CFP designation?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

Best way to get CFP designation?

Post by TopHatFox »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5936&p=109297#p109297

I'm excited to try out financial planning and asset management. I't's a joy to be able to apply the PF stuff I've learned to meet the needs of other individuals, families, and institutions!

I think having the CFP designation will help me feel more validated in my PF knowledge, would result in higher starting pay, and generally be a great all around thing to have.

Have any of you taken and passed the CFP exam? What did you find most helpful? Got any books I can have? :D

-----------------

Oh man, turns out the CFP's a long term goal - it requires 3 yrs work experience, a bachelor's degree, a comprehensive exam, ethics requirement, and other stuff.

EdithKeeler

Re: Best way to get CFP designation?

Post by EdithKeeler »

You have to have a bachelor's degree, pass the exam, and have three years of experience. (edited to add: oh, I see you note this at the bottom of your post!).

Kaplan has good prep courses for lots of financial areas. I have used them quite a bit for insurance stuff; they have a CFP course.
https://www.kaplanfinancial.com/cfp

I looked into doing this a few years ago but didn't do it because I didn't feel like going to go be an intern someplace in my 40's...

Maybe you could get your series 7 / 63 licenses, start there.