How to pierce through job posting descriptions?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

How to pierce through job posting descriptions?

Post by TopHatFox »

For instance, one sample summer business analyst internship post reads:

------ ------- is seeking a Business Analyst Intern to work on an inner company project. This position will be responsible for improving current processes as well as designing and implementing new software in order to increase and drive productivity, profitability and efficiency. The Analyst will work in a collaborative team-based environment to design, build, and implement new systems and will perform analytical work to remove procedural bottlenecks and strengthen current strategies.

Qualifications
Excellent analytical, problem solving, project management, data mining, and communication skills are essential for this position. The successful candidate for this position should have excellent leadership and creative thinking skills.

The description seems off-ly vague. "Help install software as a team to make the company more efficient, qualifications: liberal arts degree." Any idea what a position like this could be, maybe getting coffee and filing 90% of the time?

-------------------------------------------

On that note, how do you pierce through the rhetoric of job and internship ads to get to what you'll actually being doing day to day, how much you will be paid to do so, and what the company atmosphere is like?

SimpleLife

Re: How to pierce through job posting descriptions?

Post by SimpleLife »

Zalo wrote:For instance, one sample summer business analyst internship post reads:

------ ------- is seeking a Business Analyst Intern to work on an inner company project. This position will be responsible for improving current processes as well as designing and implementing new software in order to increase and drive productivity, profitability and efficiency. The Analyst will work in a collaborative team-based environment to design, build, and implement new systems and will perform analytical work to remove procedural bottlenecks and strengthen current strategies.

Qualifications
Excellent analytical, problem solving, project management, data mining, and communication skills are essential for this position. The successful candidate for this position should have excellent leadership and creative thinking skills.

The description seems off-ly vague. "Help install software as a team to make the company more efficient, qualifications: liberal arts degree." Any idea what a position like this could be, maybe getting coffee and filing 90% of the time?

-------------------------------------------

On that note, how do you pierce through the rhetoric of job and internship ads to get to what you'll actually being doing day to day, how much you will be paid to do so, and what the company atmosphere is like?
I don't see any of the usual red flags (fast paced environment, fluid rapidly changing demands, able to handle ambiguity, other duties as assigned, client focused personality, etc.)

Are there reviews of the organization on indeed or glassdoor? I've passed up several jobs in recent years, each of which was 125K plus because of the reviews on glassdoor. In one case I also tracked down the guy I was replacing, through a recruiter friend of mine, and talked to him about the position, the company culture, and the people I was about to be managing. I backed out of the offer I had accepted as a result.

Also, is this a new position? New positions are usually volatile, as the role is not yet clearly defined. You basically become the guinea pig for what that position should do.