Do FIRE people need thicker skin?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
FBeyer

Re: Do FIRE people need thicker skin?

Post by FBeyer »

enigmaT120 wrote:Float needle valve. What's funny is that a screwdriver handle might be a safer tool for that job!

I guess that's one advantage to the way my old Triumph Bonneville vibrates -- no problems with anything staying long blocking the float needle.
I just wanted to check in to make sure that you know that the hammer's handle is a VERY nice precision tool for soft tapping?
You also open beer with the handle, not the head. Otherwise you'll easily crush the top of the bottle.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

FBeyer wrote:You also open beer with the handle, not the head. Otherwise you'll easily crush the top of the bottle.
My quantum mech lecturer (KM) once related how he taught two Nobel prize winners how to open a bottled beer using another bottled beer at a conference dinner. Unfortunately he didn't teach us so I still can't do that. So I would probably ghetto this problem by shaking the bottle for some overpressure and knock the neck off with the head of the hammer hoping that no shards would fall into the bottle.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

jacob wrote:
FBeyer wrote:You also open beer with the handle, not the head. Otherwise you'll easily crush the top of the bottle.
My quantum mech lecturer (KM) once related how he taught two Nobel prize winners how to open a bottled beer using another bottled beer at a conference dinner. Unfortunately he didn't teach us so I still can't do that. So I would probably ghetto this problem by shaking the bottle for some overpressure and knock the neck off with the head of the hammer hoping that no shards would fall into the bottle.
Since I read your book, I've been hoping to find just ONE thing I can do that you can't. So to whomever reads this; do not under any circumstances teach Jacob how to open a beer with another beer, for the sake of my mental well-being.

Thank you.

OldPro

Post by OldPro »

FBeyer wrote:
enigmaT120 wrote:Float needle valve. What's funny is that a screwdriver handle might be a safer tool for that job!

I guess that's one advantage to the way my old Triumph Bonneville vibrates -- no problems with anything staying long blocking the float needle.
I just wanted to check in to make sure that you know that the hammer's handle is a VERY nice precision tool for soft tapping?
You also open beer with the handle, not the head. Otherwise you'll easily crush the top of the bottle.
We're just back full circle to any problem is a nail if all you have is a hammer. :lol:

I suppose men who open a beer bottle with another beer bottle (or hammer handle) probably also eat quiche. Real men open a beer bottle with their teeth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cU93-wOlc