changing careers

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
vivacious

changing careers

Post by vivacious »

Does anyone have any info on changing careers? Anyone have a firsthand account they care to share?

Jacob seems to have his vine theory of developing a side hobby that could be a job, switching to that, and so on. Anyone else?

For right now I'm not really talking about side businesses or income streams but a main job that takes most of your time etc. Thanks.

chenda

Re: changing careers

Post by chenda »

I have changed careers about twice, I'm now 31. I started in law, then moved to insurance now work in property development. For me it was largely by accident, I got bored in one area and found myself drifting into another. At the time I was searching for the perfect thing, which I now realise didn't exist, although I don't regret living a varied career.

I would consider what your motivations are. Is this a means to an end, e.g. to earn more money to retire early, or to have a more flexible lifestyle ? Or are you driven because you genuinely want to work in that field ? Or perhaps some combination of both ?

If its a means to an end then I would just be careful to choose something which works for your personality and aptitudes. In my experience anyway, it takes about 18 months to really 'arrive' in a job and achieve a reasonable level of competency. So you have to be willing to go through that training, and if your hearts not in it then consider if its really worthwhile.

lilacorchid

Re: changing careers

Post by lilacorchid »

I did it too, but stayed at the same company because it was large enough. My original job was very industry specific, now I do IT so I could do it anywhere.

I change careers by applying for the shittiest temp jobs that no one else wanted and managed to turn that into a permanent position by being good at what I did.