Not happy with work? Wait until you're 50 or older

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
George the original one

Not happy with work? Wait until you're 50 or older

Post by George the original one »

"A study by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research finds that 9 in 10 workers who are age 50 or older say they are very or somewhat satisfied with their job."

http://www.katu.com/news/national/Not-h ... 52441.html

Bleh. Of course they would say that... "Yeah, I'm somewhat satisfied with my job because they pay me consistently and I don't have enough saved for retirement."

And only the ones who continue working are interviewed... how many retired?

Dragline

Re: Not happy with work? Wait until you're 50 or older

Post by Dragline »

George the original one wrote:
And only the ones who continue working are interviewed... how many retired?
Yes, you would figure to have pretty severe survival bias in that kind of survey. Without interviewing all the non-workers, you probably don't get an accurate picture.

There is also the generational preference of the boomers to just keep working and identification of job with self.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Smith says earlier in life, people are uncertain what career path they want to take and may be stuck in jobs they despise. Though some older workers stay on the job out of economic necessity, many others keep working because they can't imagine quitting and genuinely like their jobs.
Statistically pretty much they all have to stay at work out of economic necessity!

I wonder if it takes until 50 to finally forget about life outside of Plato's Cave?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Maybe if you're 50+ you've figured out what kind of job you like? (survivor bias) (linear relation)

Also, the higher the age, the older you are. (linear relation).

Now hear this: Any two independent (or not) linear distribution will have some 90%+ correlation no matter whether they're related or not.

All you gotta do to publish a paper and have it picked up is to find two linear functions, correlate them for a guaranteed 90% significance and apply your prejudices.---And you too can do soft science ;-P

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

jacob wrote:Maybe if you're 50+ you've figured out what kind of job you like? (survivor bias) (linear relation)

Also, the higher the age, the older you are. (linear relation).

Now hear this: Any two independent (or not) linear distribution will have some 90%+ correlation no matter whether they're related or not.

All you gotta do to publish a paper and have it picked up is to find two linear functions, correlate them for a guaranteed 90% significance and apply your prejudices.---And you too can do soft science ;-P
These are the kind of observations I copy into my journal for later reference.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Is publishing a paper in Ann. J. Soc. Sci. on your bucket list? ;-)