What hacking employment really means

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Hello folks. Welcome to the newest hippest section on the ERE forums ;)

And thanks to jacob for making it so quick.

Some people here might assume we're talking about finding creative ways to slack on the job, perhaps by outsourcing the work while chatting on reddit.

Maybe. That's one way of hacking it, but I think that's a bit of a cop out.

Why not be more proactive? For instance, let's discuss strategies for significantly increasing our salaries. How can we change industries and job titles and gain more control?

Happiness comes from control & mastery. If we develop career capital (rare & valuable skills) then we can command the salary or flexibility (hours, location) that we desire.

Recommended reading list:

The Subversive Job Search by Alan Corey.

Alan had a $45-55k (in NY) career in tech support. He decided he wanted to get a six-figure job. By identifying his hidden skill, identifying a different job title to go after, massaging his work history, job hopping, filling in his holes (getting a certification), he was able to reach his goal in 18 months.

So good they can't ignore you by Cal Newport

Good stuff about job happiness from mastery & control, and professional development in order to achieve "career capital" (rare & valuable skills).

robotic

Re: What hacking employment really means

Post by robotic »

Awesome. Glad to see this section open up. I'm about to dive into this area, so I'll definitely stay tuned.

What are your thoughts on Ramit Sethi's material?

Thanks!

riparian

Post by riparian »

A job is when your employer gets paid for somthing and then pays you less to actually do it. Why not be proactive and eliminate the employer?

Example:
As a real estate manager (employee) you can make a small salary.
If you find a property, make a business plan, and sell an investor on it, you can make much more money for doing the same things.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

robotic wrote:

Thanks!
It's the old getting rich by teaching other people how to get rich.

But, if you're already rich, why do you need to sell a product? :-)

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Riparian,

You are absolutely correct, that employers can be considered to be middlemen and can be cut out in many cases.

However, to be self-employed or business owner successfully you need:

1) Sufficient capital to launch the business, sufficient savings/emergency fund to handle periods of no pay

2) Sufficient knowledge/skills for the industry

3) Brand/marketing/connections/networking/reputation (to get customers or clients)

4) Most of all, the ability to work effectively on your own without structure or external motivation

riparian

Post by riparian »

James,

You are incorrect:

1) I've started several businesses with little to no capital. Almost anything online or service rather than product based. Or you can use investors - but I think most businesses that require an investment are too risky/advanced for most people who don't already have the money to invest. Besides, why not sell something that's basically free?

2) if you have a job the odds are really good that you have some knowledge or skills.

3) Correct! However, considering that many of the job seekers here are considering grad school I don't think it's too big a stretch for them to read a couple sales books. Think And Grow Rich is an audio book now!

4) See lifehacker.com or a dozen other blogs like it. You don't even have to buy a book to master this skill.

Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

"robotic wrote:

Thanks!

It's the old getting rich by teaching other people how to get rich.

But, if you're already rich, why do you need to sell a product? :-)"

I read Ramit Sethi's book a few years back. I think its good information but found 95% of it to be common sense and would expect others around this forum to think the same. I gave the book to my sister who has never really thought much about personal finance, and it got here to take a few steps in the right direction.

BTW, dont sign up for the "free subscription" to Ramit's blog unless you want multiple emails a day on how to "get rich".