European biking adventure

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
reepicheep

European biking adventure

Post by reepicheep »

Background for those who aren't reading my journal: I'm living in Europe for two years. I'm in the military. I'm female.

I'm looking for a fellow adventurer who likes biking. You do not have to be good or fast at biking--I am not fast. You do have to enjoy it, though.

My sister and I were going to go take a bike tour--one of the trips that has a support vehicle and goes from bed and breakfast to bed and breakfast. However, she's seriously injured her hands through overuse and has decided she can't really travel and enjoy it if she needs someone else to do practically everything for her (and in any case unless we got her a recumbent bike she wouldn't be doing any biking).

Bummer!

But I still want to go on a bike trip. I have never been on a bike trip, but I bike to and from work every day and I want to do more. If you have never been on a bike trip, but you are adventurous, that is fine! I don't have an agenda for location, other than somewhere in Europe. I don't really have a specific month in mind--I would just need to square away my leave with my boss, so some flexibility on my fellow adventurer's part would be ideal, but I can probably accommodate a summer break schedule. I'd be looking for something like a 2 week trip. I don't have any agenda for how far we go each day.

I could meet you somewhere if I can take the train to where you are, or to the start of our adventuring location. I have some biking equipment but not a ton--I would probably need to acquire a more bike-trip worthy bike, instead of the Wal-mart special I'm driving now. I am comfortable camping, I have a sleeping bag and pad. No tent. No camp stove. I am willing to acquire some of these items before the trip if necessary.

I am primarily gluten free. I haven't done an extended camping trip gluten free, but I've done a fair bit of reading on food options and think that I would generally be able to support myself on the trail and replenish my supplies at villages along the way. I have no other medical or physical concerns.

I theoretically know how to change a tire, but have never had to change one on the trail in the middle of a thunderstorm. However, I did a NOLS trip a few years ago in Wyoming, spent 30 days in a row camping/hiking/backpacking, once upon a time was a qualified Wilderness First Responder, and generally consider myself to be pretty good in an emergency and a hardy and tolerant adventurer.

Who wants to go on an adventure?

simplex

Re: European biking adventure

Post by simplex »

Hi,
maybe we can swap ideas at the dutch meetup. If quite some experience in biking in Europe, but probably I can't join you.

reepicheep

Re: European biking adventure

Post by reepicheep »

We shall talk!