programmer needed

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
vivacious

programmer needed

Post by vivacious »

Hello. @Bigato posted in here before about offering to code something if someone else comes up with the idea. And then it's a 50/50 partnership if any money is made. He does the coding and the other person handles the business stuff and the ideas.

I am thinking about the reverse of this. I have some ideas but need them coded. I have 2 main ones right now and I think they're pretty good. Shoot me a PM if interested. Thanks.

vivacious

Re: programmer needed

Post by vivacious »

Ok got a couple replies. Here's a little more info.

One idea is more of a website. It could be an app also. It is more like a business. We provide a platform basically and take a few percent. I won't get into the details but that's basically how it would work.

The other would be best as a smartphone app. It could have a website to go with it. I could see this catching on and being popular. Probably more work to make. But I think it would be fun to use.

So if anyone is interested in 1 or both let me know. Thanks.

nawor

Post by nawor »

Ideas alone are worth nothing, zilch, zero. You need to bring more to the table than an idea because everyone can come up with an idea. The usual path if you have an idea and need a programmer is to employ a programmer. If you want a better deal then you pay them as well as making them a partner.

If you think an idea is worth something alone then I have a good business idea too:
You go and train to be a plumber and go around fixing people's drains and pipes. If the idea is successful you can keep half the money.

See how ridiculous it sounds getting paid for an idea while someone else does the work? The way you have put it, it is insulting to programmers. You need to either do some work yourself or put up the capital for someone else to do the work.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Entrepreneurship is about taking that upfront risk... But also most if the profits if successful :-)

M

Post by M »

@vivacious

I've been developing software for the past decade in a wide variety of settings for a wide variety of companies, customers, etc, on a variety of platforms utilizing various programming languages.

My consulting rate is $85 /hour. After you pay me upfront for the development costs, we can split whatever profit is made off of your project 50/50.

PM me if you're interested. :mrgreen:

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

nawor wrote: See how ridiculous it sounds getting paid for an idea while someone else does the work? The way you have put it, it is insulting to programmers. You need to either do some work yourself or put up the capital for someone else to do the work.

Um, no. This is a trollish reply. Notice how I said I would do the business half. Also @Bigato made the exact offer in reverse before but he is busy now.

If you're not interested don't reply.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Here's the problem:

You're asking someone to commit a lot of work to something upfront with the promise that you'll do "business stuff" later.

You'd need something more like this:

"I have a client willing to offer $10,000 for an app to manage their warehouse inventory. They're willing to pay 1/3 after a working prototype is available. I'm willing to provide a programmer with $1,500 for a very basic prototype and additional $3,000 when the app is finished. I understand the pay isn't fantastic, but we hold rights to the app and your contract will include a 50/50 revenue split for future sales, subscription fees, and any other revenue provided from the app. You will need to provide customizations and updates as necessary, but I will handle all future negotiations, marketing, and business arrangements."

riparian

Post by riparian »

nawor wrote:Ideas alone are worth nothing, zilch, zero. You need to bring more to the table than an idea because everyone can come up with an idea...

See how ridiculous it sounds getting paid for an idea while someone else does the work? The way you have put it, it is insulting to programmers. You need to either do some work yourself or put up the capital for someone else to do the work.
Not necessarily. For example, I have an idea for an app that could be used by people in a specific profession. You might be able to come up with a similar general idea, but you wouldn't have the information and experience to make it usable and valuable to those people unless you had, like me, spent over a decade in that profession. But say you put a few months into research and came up with a little information on your own: how are you going to sell it? Do you have an email list of a thousand people in that profession who've been following you for over five years and trust you, like I do? Do you have the private, screened memberships to profession message boards where people have known and trusted you for going on fourteen years, like I do? If not, then my idea, my contacts, and my marketing are worth something.

Of course I'm not vivacious and I don't know what their idea is, but if my ideas can be worth something I bet theirs could be too.

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

IMHO, almost everybody in every field has "an idea" for an app. I had many.

From this pool of "million dollar" ideas, maybe 1% would really answer or create a real need. From the good ideas, maybe only 1% is in the brain of people with the right network.
From the good ideas that could become reality, maybe 1% will not find themselves competing with one or more already good products.

That's why most successful products on the market are not the first of their kind, but bettered "rip offs" with a twist developped with an excellent team

Unfortunately if you cannot code your idea for yourself (at least a working prototype) you better know good coders from the start, willing to team up with you. Even them, it will be hard to understand and follow what s going on during development.

If you don't have the least bit of knowkledge about coding, software industry and protocols forget about creating an app unless you already have a capable team with you.

If you know coding 101, you do the work on UI, PRD, FSD, and try to implement the easiest functionnality.
Then you can reach and pay for help. that's how it works.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Do you know where the good money is made for technologists? Surprisingly, it's Megacorps.

There's much less money to be made in startups. And those are PAYING jobs. Working for free for someone elses idea is crazy. ;-)

m741

Post by m741 »

I gotta agree with the other guys. Asking someone else to do the coding, while you're the "idea man" isn't gonna get you very far. Everyone has ideas for a new app or website (One idea a college friend proudly told me: "Facebook for Horses").

The average programmer in the US will be earning a salary from 70k-120k. That's the *average*; a good programmer will earn a lot more. They'll be doing the bulk of the work (this is an app, after all). You may do a small amount of marketing or legwork (not to devalue your contribution, but I know maybe 1-2 non-programmers who I feel would materially contribute to a startup in ways I could not). Even worse, the programmer will put in a large block of their time up front, while you'll only do much work far down the road.

There are situations where an idea is good in a specific industry, as Riparian mentions. The usual situation there is that someone pays 2-10k for an app to get built and the programmer gets no equity. In other words, your usual contracting arrangement. That could work out if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is. If your idea is worth less than 2-10k, it's not worth a programmer's time (they could do a hobby app on their own, or something else they're more passionate about).

The other option is to learn how to program. Then you'll be able to see why the rates are so high, and you won't have to pay anyone to make your app. And you can contract out... or build someone else's ideas, for equity :).

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

m741 wrote: (One idea a college friend proudly told me: "Facebook for Horses").
This one got me ROTFL. The billion $ idea ! Yeah ...
That could work out if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is.
Agree 100% : If you believe in your idea, that would be no pb to invest $ in its developpement..

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It all depends on risk/cost/reward profiles of the contributors. This is why corporations issue so many different kinds of securities and why the pay packages are so different between e.g. sales, R&D, management, etc.

To give a personal example, for many years, people have told me how I could easily make a few thousand per month in ad revenue from my blog (I currently have about 250000-300000 pageviews/month on the blog). I then respond that, sure, we can do that. I'm not going to put in the effort myself, but I'll hire the person making the claim, and we'll split 75/25. This seems like really good money if it's as easy as they say it is. However, I have not found anyone willing to take me up on that deal. They'd rather be paid $1500 up front in consulting fees than get into a partnership that can supposedly make them $5000/year on a blog that's been going for 7 years now. So there you go ... that's the problem of not liking upfront work for later pay. They don't want to take the risk.

That said, to the OP, there are programmers out there who might look at this as an interesting project rather than a job, so keep trying. I would also say, in particular, having worked with developers, that it helps a lot if you can do at least some development yourself. Explaining your idea in code rather than in words go a long way in terms of communicating your ideas even if your code isn't production quality.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Hey Jacob, if you ever go back to blogging I'll do that for you (not ads, better) and we can split it 50/50. Or I could just tell you what to do and you could keep it all.