spot in the forum to make "twitter" sized subject posts?

Questions and comments
bryan

spot in the forum to make "twitter" sized subject posts?

Post by bryan »

The ERE forum posts (and old blog posts by jacob) feel rather mentally weighty. Which is great. Very high signal-to-noise.

Though, sometimes I wish it were more common, or there were a spot, where ERE folk could make small remarks in a similar spirit to some subreddits (e.g. /r/Showerthoughts) or twitter.

Or should the forums just follow the usage of the crowd anyway and nothing is stopping me (or others) from doing this? Should any new posts like this be posted in Miscellaneous assuming it doesn't fit perfectly into other sections?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: spot in the forum to make "twitter" sized subject posts?

Post by jacob »

Importing the spirit of reddit or twitter does not make for a very convincing sell :?

In fact I'm doing what I can to develop/maintain the exact opposite culture here. I'd even go so far as to say that if the crowd/majority of posts turns into something like a typical subreddit "tl;dr - have opinion anyway" yammer or gets filled up with hashtags or memes, I see no reason to continue keeping the forum online :cry:

Sorry, bad idea!

PS: I guess you can make a thread in Misc, specify your "thread rules", and see if anyone bites. I've been wrong before.

bryan

Re: spot in the forum to make "twitter" sized subject posts?

Post by bryan »

I get the sentiment re: reddit. Though, subs have their own niche community. My homepage and usage of reddit is fairly pleasing. The current market gap of what I'm thinking is probably filled by the MMM forums but I don't really enjoy listening or talking to that crowd as much as here. Maybe there is a reddit sub I could have gone to, but sometimes the more sticky attention forums provide (and the longer lasting conversations) is preferable versus ephemeral front page posts on subs on reddit, where good content goes less-seen.

Google Circles could have been a great product if it caught on like Twitter, Facebook. It has some convenient, detailed, powerful sharing capabilities. You could feel more comfortable sharing certain thoughts in certain places.

Though, maybe a future evolution of gCircle/Facebook/Twitter, which serves the "information should be free" line of thinking, would be an automated pseudo-anonymous persona for each circle/community and then everything is public but not tied back to your account in any way (unless you later part the veil and add some linkage to other personas). In fact, this probably already exists in some form among cyberpunks, hackers and the like. Or maybe it only exists as an operational user guide and a credo to not be so fucking lazy? :)

Will consider making a topical thread and seeding with content..