Seriously!!! The forum is 95% of the reason that earlyretirementextreme.com still exists, so let's keep the standards high!
1) DEAR POTENTIAL SPAMMERS! There are tons of eyes on you on this forum. DON'T WASTE OUR TIME! Typically spam will be deleted within the hour. Sometimes we catch you within 5 minutes! If you think you can sneak in five links for SEO purposes by hiring some copywriter to post human-sounding messages, you just wasted whatever you paid them or 10 minutes of your life. They will be deleted. Your IP and email will be banned for the duration of the universe!
2) DON'T USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION AS A REPLY BUTTON! Some people use phones or textreaders to keep up, so please don't abuse the quote function. Don't quote the entire post you're responding to. Because if you do, people have to scroll through all that only to learn that you're just responding to the post above IF you're responding to the entire post (which is the case in most cases), just start your post with @username. Then respond. Only use the quote function when/if responding to specific paragraphs or sentences.
3) DO NOT SIGN YOUR NAME [or URL] on your posts. Again ... it's annoying to have to scroll through that. I will edit this out manually and I don't like to do that. People already know who you are from your username and/or profile details.
4) DO NOT CROSS POST to multiple forums. Seems like a great idea right ... until people figure out what you're doing and start ignoring you because they figure that maybe the thread is active on another forum. Tragedy of the commons and the Boy who cried wolf combined.
5) DO NOT INSTIGATE! Deliberately trying to piss people off is juvenile, so just don't. If someone is trolling or acting like a 12-year old sociopath, please try to ignore it the first time around rather than escalating it. If they do it repeatedly, you have my permission to fire back ONCE! If they keep doing it, PM me and I'll ban them for life. I will sacrifice the one to protect the many. A lot of effort is focused on keeping this forum in the style of a rational debate amongst adults.---Which kinda makes it an oasis of reason on the interwebs. Don't destroy this culture! It's a rare thing in these days!
6) NO LYNCH MOBS! Because I've been on the receiving end of this more than once I'll allow no social media mob behavior on this forum; that is, negatively discussing anyone who is not present to defend themselves. In my experience such things don't help anyone. Basically, if you don't want to say something to somebody's face (presuming they're a heavyweight UFC fighter/not smaller than you), don't say it at all. Furthermore, if you don't want to say it for the public record.---Don't say it either. This is not for the purpose of being politically correct. It is because such opinionating tends to be misinformed and stupid.
7) FOLLOW OLD SCHOOL NETIQUETTE! Read this if you haven't already: http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html --- it pretty much covers everything. It's how the net used to operate before Eternal September. Let's keep it the way it was before that.
- Rule 1: Remember the Human
- Rule 2: Adhere to the same standards of behavior online that you follow in real life
- Rule 3: Know where you are in cyberspace
- Rule 4: Respect other people's time and bandwidth
- Rule 5: Make yourself look good online
- Rule 6: Share expert knowledge
- Rule 7: Help keep flame wars under control
- Rule 8: Respect other people's privacy
- Rule 9: Don't abuse your power
- Rule 10: Be forgiving of other people's mistakes