Lock In

Questions and comments
reepicheep

Lock In

Post by reepicheep »

WHY did nobody in this universe invent a brain-in-a-jar that kept brains alive independent of the physical bodies?

WHY did nobody in this universe invest some kind of back-up download for individual thoughts? If thought can be transmitted wirelessly via the assistance of a neural network, surely it can be stored?

chenda

Re: Lock In

Post by chenda »

Why would you want to ?

Ego

Post by Ego »

What makes you believe that no one has invented those things?

C40

Post by C40 »

I'm pretty sure people are working on both of those right now. I know for sure about companies that focus on the second one.

mfi

Post by mfi »

Aren't books the low tech solution?

1) brains without bodies = books in a library?

2) download for individual thoughts = books (again)?

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

My bad guys, totally thought I put this in a different topic. It should be in books.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

So, in reference to the fact that I was talking about a book:

Ego, were you talking about the book, or about reality? Because it seems pretty unlikely that those things would exist in the way that I am conceiving them (a.k.a., not low-tech solutions like books) without them being major news stories.

Ego

Post by Ego »

reepicheep wrote:So, in reference to the fact that I was talking about a book:

Ego, were you talking about the book, or about reality? Because it seems pretty unlikely that those things would exist in the way that I am conceiving them (a.k.a., not low-tech solutions like books) without them being major news stories.
I meant that it is possible that you are a brain in a vat and everything else is input. How could you tell?

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Oh, Matrix style.

I feel real, therefore I am real. :D

It would be pretty Inception worthy if the brains-in-the-vats-that-thought-they-were-living-life invented a technological way to store their thoughts/personalities in order to preserve them past a normal life span.

Ari

Post by Ari »

I don't think we need to store our memories in order to preserve ourselves past what is today a normal lifespan. The more likely solution is to cure aging, a problem we are getting closer to solving every year. I don't see it as unlikely for me to live to 1000 years of age (I'm 31 now), though it's by no means a given. Google Aubrey De Grey and listen to some of his lectures to be inspired.