Various forum issues: Signatures, Board Index, ...

Questions and comments
GandK

Re: Various forum issues: Signatures, Board Index, ...

Post by GandK »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:...but given the choice, personally, I'd rather lose old posts than lose functionality on the forum. There's always the wiki to store the nuggets of wisdom from the forum that deserve to live into posterity. Just a thought.
Agreed. Maybe we can automatically delete posts older than X. Or maybe those in all the forums except money/finance, journals and reference... the places where we'd expect long term information to be.

The star icon is gone now, I see (the one that tells you which threads you've posted in before).

Edit: thanks for all your work, @bigato!

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Yeah, thanks for working on this, Bigato. Definitely seems like blog comments and forum search would be the most vulnerable to spambots, DDOS attacks, etc. I assume only forum members can use the search function? I'd just jack the minimum search interval up to 60 seconds or so and let everyone know the Google search hack. It might also be possible to disable search completely, and use a different forum skin to achieve the functionality of "view active topics". Just spit-balling here; I know even less about reducing load on a server than I do about reducing a database.

Still seems low of Bluehost to respond the way they did, especially if this was related to something like a one-time spambot or DDOS attack. Hell, even if the overall average server load is just too high, seems like closing the website without warning is a stupid way of letting a customer know.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

You can't see who's online anymore. Just FYI.

I used to moderate a forum that used IPB and I don't remember many issues or complaints.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Active topics seems to work now, but the icon beside the post title that used to take me to the first unread post in the thread now takes me to the first post in the thread. Seems like the personal history of what's been read is gone? It's not a big problem at the moment, just so you know.

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

I remember SMF to be decent forum software back in the day with conversion tools from phpBB and seems to still put out releases. Mind you, it was 10 years ago I used it mind you :).

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

MMM also has a TON more visitors, participants etc. his site/forums. A few of his sub-forums have more topics/posts (on their own) then this whole forum here. If it works most of the time there, then I'd have to guess it'd do pretty well here.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Wow... what forum has one million posts per day?!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

If the problem is the site being on a shared server, and since Jacob is considering upgrading the blue host plan anyway; I'd suggest looking into affordable dedicated servers like Liquid Web.

This way there will still be room left for new visitors to grow.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Anyone else having issues with the site tracking posts you have already read? If I read something on my work computer, it will show I read the post at work. But, on my home computer it will show as having not read it...and vice versa.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

It looks like it's only updating the "last active" time once a day now. That might have something to do with it.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Chad wrote:Anyone else having issues with the site tracking posts you have already read? If I read something on my work computer, it will show I read the post at work. But, on my home computer it will show as having not read it...and vice versa.
It seems that the read/unread tracking has been moved from account based to computer/cookie based. I just cleared everything from my browser and now everything on the forum is unread. This would also explain why you'd see your read threads as unread on a different machine. I'm guessing that may be a phpBB settings change to save server resources?

Chad

Post by Chad »

@henrik
That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

cimorene12 wrote: I don't know what I'd do without the search functionality on the ERE forums.
site:http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/ search term

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

^^ Google that.

Noided

Post by Noided »

Is it just me, or even if I read a topic until the end, the forum does not count that one has read?

It is hard to keep track of what we read or not

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Noided - The forum now uses cookies to track read threads. If you habitually delete your cookies or use different computers, it won't work.

Noided

Post by Noided »

I don't usually delete my cookies and It happens even when I use the same computer and access the forum multiple times

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Noided wrote:I don't usually delete my cookies and It happens even when I use the same computer and access the forum multiple times
I've noticed this too, could be something to do with settings on your device? I haven't looked to check if I'm deleting cookies automatically, I assume not as I'm auto logged in on most devices.