I'm doing a podcast. Ask your questions here.

Questions and comments
Spartan_Warrior

Re: I'm doing a podcast. Ask your questions here.

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Looks good, many thanks. About how many meals do you get out of that recipe, and how big is your dog? Also, I'm assuming the answer is yes (because why mix it in the slow-cooker if you're not gonna slow-cook it there), but do you cook this? Or is it a raw recipe?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Calorie density is similar to kibbles by weight as far as I can tell, so just feed the same amount. It's cooked (in a big pot, simultaneously, until the grains are done) but we don't worry about whether the meat is rare or well-done. But obviously, the dog won't eat raw rice.

This is not rocket science :)

Ego

Post by Ego »

That was a great interview. I enjoyed it.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Sorry, just trying to estimate cost-per-day for a prospective dog. Now that I've learned people consider it healthy to feed store-bought raw ground beef to dogs, my mind is blown as far as what they may or may not eat raw. Thanks again.

Good work on the podcast. It was probably frustrating, but I couldn't help but laugh at all the interruptions to the feed since that's how pretty much every conversation I ever have on Skype turns out.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I'm guessing it scales linearly by body weight and activity. This, largely sedentary, 25 lbs pug, gets 4/3 cup of the above concoction each day.

Aside from a few things that humans can eat but dogs never can (onion, garlic, chocolate, chewing gum,...), dogs have much better stomach acid. If they "can't take it" they just throw it up.

If you consider that special dog food is mainly a heavily commercialized and recent idea and that dogs tend to be either hunters or scavengers, realize that dogs will eat practically anything. They're most recently evolutionarily conditioned to each human food leftovers and rodents. Our dog is particularly fond of radishes(!)

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:Sorry, just trying to estimate cost-per-day for a prospective dog. Now that I've learned people consider it healthy to feed store-bought raw ground beef to dogs, my mind is blown as far as what they may or may not eat raw. Thanks again.

Good work on the podcast. It was probably frustrating, but I couldn't help but laugh at all the interruptions to the feed since that's how pretty much every conversation I ever have on Skype turns out.
I'd estimate dog expenses of $100/month on average for standard food and good medical care. There are large variations year to year. (I've been involved with adopting out a few hundred of these critters.)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Basically, food is cheap, especially if you cook it yourself, just like with humans. Medical expenses are costly but you won't incur most of those until old age, just like with humans. I find that vets cost half in IL compared to CA for the same service, just like with humans.

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk »

The podcast was solid..basically the knowledge is to live strategically and always learn as you go. I liked hearing JLF's comments on his wedding and the engagement ring.

And I especially like the quote: "You don't want to 'be there' because you 'were there.' "

So many people miss that central premise in life.. You want to be where you can learn and improve and enjoy what you are doing, and know when it's time to adjust.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

This podcast is 10/10 - the permaculture divergence was just great, and thanks to all for not rehashing the past.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Thanks for the podcast, I enjoyed listening.