I'm doing a podcast. Ask your questions here.

Questions and comments
jennypenny

Re: I'm doing a podcast. Ask your questions here.

Post by jennypenny »

jacob wrote:
jennypenny wrote:boxers or briefs?
After years of fancy $$$ boxer-briefs (something used daily is worth paying for), I settled on cheap briefs, because they take up much less space and are just as comfortable. They cost less too.
:lol: I can't believe you answered that.

I don't own many videos, but I do own the Hornblower series with Ioan Gruffudd. Love that one.
Last edited by jennypenny on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Devil's Advocate wrote:You're fortunate that your wife is on the same wavelength as you as regards ERE. (I know, not from the word go, and not in everything even now, as you've mentioned here, but still.)

Had that not been the case, and what's more if "let's each do our own thing on this" hadn't been an option, would you then have diluted your ERE substantially?

For instance, would you have consented to continue working (3 years back), live a 50K lifestyle (or more), and what's more finance (most of) it yourself?

In short, what scores higher? ERE or love? Personal philosophy or what the loved one desires? Where, if at all, do the graphs of accommodation and exploitation intersect?
Since I already harbored these ideas prior to meeting DW, had we not at least been somewhat compatible we probably would never have gotten married. That said, DW has told me that at some points she still wondered whether this [relationship] would work out. She also says I've mellowed out over time.

We compromise.

When it comes down to it, ERE is my life-philosophy, which is simply the way I operate and am. I do not believe I would have sacrificed who I am as a person for love [of another person].

To give some concrete examples. Were we to divorce, I would probably live out of a duffel bag on a boat. She might get cable and go to restaurants more but wouldn't go into debt for a McMansion and a fancy new car. We're both willing to compromise on a $10k/year lifestyle that shows no apparent/visible difference from our friends' 40k/year lifestyle as long as we do things more frugal/efficiently. Basically, I'd probably go to $3k/year and she'd go to $15k/year. One Wheaton level up and down respectively. We meet in the middle.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

DutchGirl wrote:I am fascinated by the idea of having enough money to never have to work again. Here on the forums I love seeing people make the transition. However, I'm not there yet. And I also see people here on the forum struggle with it. (The one more year syndrome, or even the "Quit the job, now what?" syndrome).

I would like to ask you how it feels to not have to worry about money anymore (if being FI feels like that?). Plus also on whether you have advice for people who are making the transition.
I don't worry about money but I still think a lot about it. To consumers money is the only ingredient when they're cooking up solutions. To me, it's but one ingredient out of many. Being super-FI just means I don't have to worry about a shortage of that particular ingredient. I still have to consider it though.

I guess it's similar to thinking about access to running water. I don't worry about availability---I just turn it on when I need it---but I still think about it.

The advice would be to implement your post-FI finances BEFORE quitting your salary/job-income. Gain some experience with it. Give it at least a year if not more. Until you feel comfortable with the idea.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

chipmunk wrote:DW poses the following question:

How has your opinion on having kids changed over the years?
Honestly, I don't think so. I never really seen myself as a parent. I think I could do the job if I had to but I never really wanted it. The fact that I think of it as a job probably gives some idea of how I feel about it.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

anomie wrote:ERE philosophy espouses physical fitness.

How much money have you saved over the years on not having to buy clothes with ever-larger waistlines?
Not as much as I would have saved if I was 5'11" with a 38" waist line ;-P

Being in shape means I have to buy most clothes new because there's little availability in the used clothes market for people who aren't out of shape.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

J_L13 wrote:1.) As your net worth has skyrocketed enough to support a <3% SWR, do you find yourself spending more money at all? I.e. outsourcing certain activities to save time, upgrading often-used tools/gadgets, or paying for hobbies/sports that you wouldn't before considered?

2.) Regarding types of full time jobs available - do you think the vast majority are pointless? In your opinion, should a future EREer spend time finding a fulfilling job given the short time frame, or just make do for a few years pushing paper? Are there enough FT jobs that actually benefit society that it's worth seeking them? I think a lot of us feel like FT work is just like swallowing a big pill - uncomfortable now but just gotta wait for the medicine to work and we'll feel better.
1) Not at all. My net worth now supports a 1.1% SWR. I see no reason to waste money simply because I can. Decisions are still made based on ERE principles. Not consumer principles.

2) I wouldn't go as far as the vast majority, but a lot of jobs simply serve to solve problems that are created by other types of jobs. Personally, I would rather take longer and do something that's fulfilling than work in hell for the money. I've been fortunate to spend very little of my life working jobs I hate. Are there enough jobs? The main problem facing capitalism is the distribution problem. We still believe that people need to work in order to deserve goods, so we make up such jobs. This is a very hard concept to abandon, because it just doesn't seem fair that some people should work so that others can benefit w/o effort. The solution might be to move to 4 or 3 day work weeks like some magnates are beginning to advocate. FIRE is another way and one which the individual can do without having to wait for society to adopt.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

jacob wrote:
dot_com_vet wrote:Do you or DS ever fall off the wagon? If so, what's your biggest indulgence?
How do you define wagon? Wagon makes it sound like there are things we should just stay away from entirely, but in reality the game is to optimize and find the best solution to problems.

Sometimes we get take-out pizza. Little Cesar's is $5, but it's approximately the amount of the daily allowance. Sometimes we buy things new but that's knowing that getting a used version could take a long time.

I can't recall any instances of saying "screw it", we're just gonna blow the money.

Well, maybe one case. We're getting a two-stage furnace which is somewhat more expensive than the original one-stage quote. I'm willing to blow a grand on having a more steady temperature. Basically I hate forced-air heating, so I'm willing to go the extra step. On the other hand, the local utility company offers a rebate and it might increase resale value.
Good choice on the multi-stage furnace! Technology has finally made forced air hvac very good. It's likely the rebate and efficiency benefits will make for a quick payback.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Thanks for the answers, Jacob.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Given that your writing and the communities you've built, grown or inspired have helped a lot of people find a sense of themselves and improvement do you feel satisfied or rewarded regarding the community here, and in other FI circles?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

LonerMatt wrote:Given that your writing and the communities you've built, grown or inspired have helped a lot of people find a sense of themselves and improvement do you feel satisfied or rewarded regarding the community here, and in other FI circles?
Yes, I still consider ERE the most important thing I've done in my "career" (=active life). I'm very happy with the community here and its derivative influence elsewhere. However, I've definitely created a handful of "enemies"---people who either hate what I stand for or simply and more likely use me to promote their own platform (I guess in fairness not unlike what I do to them)---in the process too which I could have done without. This is probably inevitable whenever the pot is stirred and it gets more prevalent the further one goes towards mainstream. This is why I now try to stay "local" in terms of thought and influence, respecting the Wheaton levels. I try to let people come to me instead of presuming that I'm welcome coming to them. Ultimately, reality will be the judge and so far reality has worked in my favor ;)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

By the way, the interview lasted 3+ hours.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I'll keep my eye out for the Podcast!

Sorry if this was answered, but I am curious:

It seems extremely unlikely you will run out of money. You will have a major surplus. You also have no heirs. What are your plans for the remainder after death? A particular charity?

GandK

Post by GandK »

ffj wrote:Not as much as I would have saved if I was 5'11" with a 38" waist line ;-P

You can kiss my ass. haha
:lol:

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

jacob wrote:By the way, the interview lasted 3+ hours.
Thanks for doing all that, and answering all those questions -- it looked kind of exhausting. I sense it might not be something you would have cared to do a year or so ago. A wise inconsistency, eh?

Isn't nice to have a wife and a house and a dog that are all agreeable? It just is.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Loved reading all this.So interesting.Thank you.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

DutchGirl wrote:Thanks for the answers, Jacob.
Absolutely. Thanks for taking the trouble to answer every question we've fired at you on this thread.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

workathome wrote:I'll keep my eye out for the Podcast!

Sorry if this was answered, but I am curious:

It seems extremely unlikely you will run out of money. You will have a major surplus. You also have no heirs. What are your plans for the remainder after death? A particular charity?
I do not have any plans yet. If figure if I make them now they'll probably change over the next 50 years.

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk »

Jacob,

I'd like to know what you and DW spend on
-Internet
-Wireless Phones and/or Landlines
-Car Insurance
-Home Insurance

Thanks for doing the podcast!

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

stand@desk wrote:Jacob,

I'd like to know what you and DW spend on
-Internet
-Wireless Phones and/or Landlines
-Car Insurance
-Home Insurance

Thanks for doing the podcast!
On the order of

$500
$120
$1000
$500

iProgramStuff

Post by iProgramStuff »

Thanks for taking the time to answer Jacob :-)

You've had a huge positive impact on my life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the world and ranking high in Google - otherwise I may not have stumbled upon your blog years ago.

I look forward to the possibility of talking with you about this even more!