I'm doing a podcast. Ask your questions here.

Questions and comments
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

I'm doing a podcast. Ask your questions here.

Post by jacob »

Also see http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a- ... nt-to-ask/

Feel free to be funny or clever. I like the "how many weapons do I consider myself proficient in"-question.

Keep in mind that I can't answer any kind of investment/financially related questions!

Ego

Re: I'm doing a podcast. Ask your questions here.

Post by Ego »

ERE promotional tour vehicle. Shrink wrapped in the ERE logo. Which one and why?

or

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

I like the first vehicle, the bull bar on the second is too aggressive for me-not in keeping with ERE principles.(just in my opinion)

Question for Jacob: About Dog

The whole hassle of finding dog friendly accommodation and expenses due to vets, food etc must cause you to analyse the cost/benefit of owning it.

I know you like everything streamlined and to travel light.

How did/does this play out in your mind? When would you decide it's not worth hassle/ties of keeping it and get rid of it?

Just trying to understand how you analyse tricky emotional issues that are not black or white.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

If you could have one thing come out of your belly button, forever and whenever, what would it be?

GandK

Post by GandK »

What's the best fiction book you've ever read?
If you had to go back to university and start over, with the benefit of hindsight, what would your major be and why?
You've lived on a boat, in a camper, and now you're in a house. Which was your favorite?
Of the areas in which you've lived, which was best suited to ER?
What's the craziest thing on your bucket list?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

boxers or briefs?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Okay okay, I guess you can ask more serious ones too ;-P

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Do you or DS ever fall off the wagon? If so, what's your biggest indulgence?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

What did you get wrong when you wrote the book?
(I don't mean anything like the title or using the word retirement. You've covered that.)

Which misunderstanding about ERE makes you the most angry?

Which misunderstanding about ERE surprises you the most?

What part of ERE have you had the most trouble communicating?

What have you learned from the people who follow ERE closely?

Which lifestyle is more sustainable or ERE-friendly -- nomading or homesteading?
Last edited by jennypenny on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

iProgramStuff

Post by iProgramStuff »

Hi Jacob!

This sounds really interesting :-)

What is your drive behind doing things? You seem to have all the time in the world now that you are financially independent, and you don't seem to feel the need to 'save the world'. What is your criteria for finding something meaningful to do?

Do you do much along the lines of meditation, yoga, living in the present? I'd love to hear you elaborate a bit on those topics if so.

I am 24, currently jobless by choice, because I have 20k saved and I am doing some freelance work to stretch that 20k further. I probably have about 2 years of this state if I earn no more money. With my free time I am pursuing things I find interesting in the hopes that they make money. I want to earn money on my own terms and then save a few hundred thousand for "true FI'. Though, when I am earning money on my own terms, the concept of FI and having to never work again is a bit irrelevant (compared to working in an unliked 9-5 office job that makes me want to stop working at all costs). In many ways I am living the full ERE life right now, it's just that I don't have the security of thousands saved and I am still spending too much time thinking about how to earn money. I need to save more regardless, as I would like to buy some land and settle there. And the other facets of ERE appeal to me greatly (anti-consumerism, and being a producer or your own needs rather than a consumer - the environmental impact plays a huge role) so I'll be living the "ERE life" even if I don't save up thousands and live off that while 'never working again'.

I have been feeling anxious about how I spend my time..and I keep asking myself "And then what?". I'm trying to find things that will make me feel I've lived a good life. Funnily enough, I lean towards kids as they seem like they'd give me this sense of meaning. I like the idea of starting a family. I know you don't want children, so I am more interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Do you still accept guest posts? Sometimes I see your old recycled posts ask for guest posts but I don't know if they are relevant. I'd be happy to write about my story from an angle you'd like to hear for a guest post. I also want to go on a bike tour or van tour (fits my current lifestyle very well since I am not tied down at all) - and would be very interested in heading your direction to visit you. I would be happy to help you out with renovations (great learning experience for me) and have some very interesting conversations :-)

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

You're fortunate that your wife is on the same wavelength as you as regards ERE. (I know, not from the word go, and not in everything even now, as you've mentioned here, but still.)

Had that not been the case, and what's more if "let's each do our own thing on this" hadn't been an option, would you then have diluted your ERE substantially?

For instance, would you have consented to continue working (3 years back), live a 50K lifestyle (or more), and what's more finance (most of) it yourself?

In short, what scores higher? ERE or love? Personal philosophy or what the loved one desires? Where, if at all, do the graphs of accommodation and exploitation intersect?

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I am fascinated by the idea of having enough money to never have to work again. Here on the forums I love seeing people make the transition. However, I'm not there yet. And I also see people here on the forum struggle with it. (The one more year syndrome, or even the "Quit the job, now what?" syndrome).

I would like to ask you how it feels to not have to worry about money anymore (if being FI feels like that?). Plus also on whether you have advice for people who are making the transition.

chipmunk

Post by chipmunk »

DW poses the following question:

How has your opinion on having kids changed over the years?

anomie

Post by anomie »

ERE philosophy espouses physical fitness.

How much money have you saved over the years on not having to buy clothes with ever-larger waistlines?

JL13

Post by JL13 »

1.) As your net worth has skyrocketed enough to support a <3% SWR, do you find yourself spending more money at all? I.e. outsourcing certain activities to save time, upgrading often-used tools/gadgets, or paying for hobbies/sports that you wouldn't before considered?

2.) Regarding types of full time jobs available - do you think the vast majority are pointless? In your opinion, should a future EREer spend time finding a fulfilling job given the short time frame, or just make do for a few years pushing paper? Are there enough FT jobs that actually benefit society that it's worth seeking them? I think a lot of us feel like FT work is just like swallowing a big pill - uncomfortable now but just gotta wait for the medicine to work and we'll feel better.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Most of you guys were late to the party, so I'll try to answer the questions we didn't cover in the podcast---which was most of them---here.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Ego wrote:ERE promotional tour vehicle. Shrink wrapped in the ERE logo. Which one and why?
We recently bought a 2005 Subaru Outback for light use. It can hail light boats, campers, trailers, drywall, and could subsequently be used for a cross country move. The cost was 5k. Compare to 3k for renting a uhaul and driving it 2000 miles.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

1taskaday wrote: Question for Jacob: About Dog

The whole hassle of finding dog friendly accommodation and expenses due to vets, food etc must cause you to analyse the cost/benefit of owning it.

I know you like everything streamlined and to travel light.

How did/does this play out in your mind? When would you decide it's not worth hassle/ties of keeping it and get rid of it?

Just trying to understand how you analyse tricky emotional issues that are not black or white.
One idea with the dog was to see how it would be like to have a dependent in preparation for potentially having children. DW and the dog are very attached, I verified that I don't like this kind of dependency.

I would definitely NOT get rid of the dog just because it's convenient to me/us. There has been some opportunity cost. Mainly it's harder to find living spaces that accept dogs. There's been some vet costs (more than my personal medical expenses). The main restriction has been that it's been hard to travel anywhere because this dog doesn't like being boarded and we have never been able to find anyone who would be willing to babysit for 1+ week. Of course this has also resulted in some savings. Ultimately, though, Frank, the dog, has brought a lot of joy to our lives.

If we had to get a dog all over again, would we still do it? Probably not. Once he's dead, we'll take a break and see if something substantial changes in our life. E.g. do we travel more? If not, we'll probably get another dog.

The harder question is in determining cost/benefit in keeping him alive once/if serious medical issues develop. That will likely be more emotional than financial. I hope to be able to pull the trigger (figuratively) and not prolong any pain simply due to my/our emotional attachment.

PS: I just taught the genius to roll over when I say "timber" if he's lying down.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

GandK wrote:What's the best fiction book you've ever read?
If you had to go back to university and start over, with the benefit of hindsight, what would your major be and why?
You've lived on a boat, in a camper, and now you're in a house. Which was your favorite?
Of the areas in which you've lived, which was best suited to ER?
What's the craziest thing on your bucket list?
The best one was Frank Herbert's Dune series, especially the first book. I must admit to taking some pleasure in fictitious Napoleonic war fiction, like Hornblower and Sharpe. I can read/watch those over and over.

I haven't lived on a boat. I don't know what my favorite domicile, but I can for sure say that my least favorite is living in an apartment in the city. I would certainly not object to living in a camper again and I would like try to live aboard.

In terms of areas, it really depends. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Basically, I've found that I can make any place work.

The craziest thing on my bucket list? You can find it on my FAQ, so you tell me.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

jennypenny wrote:boxers or briefs?
After years of fancy $$$ boxer-briefs (something used daily is worth paying for), I settled on cheap briefs, because they take up much less space and are just as comfortable. They cost less too.