An ERE book for teenagers and college students?

Questions and comments
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

First off, I don't think I'm in a position to write this. When I was a teenager/college student, I was already reading university text books, so I wouldn't really know how such a book would differentiate itself from the first ERE book.
That said, if anyone (Jeremy) wants to take on the project, I'll support it. I can provide content, ideas, editing, and formatting; maybe I can even coauthor some parts which can later be enhanced for *awesomeness* to make them more *amazing*. I just don't think I'm capable of providing the language or figuring out what motivates the typical twenty year old.
(On the same note, an ERE travel oriented book could be created. Here I'd be somewhat out of my league as well.)
BTW I've finally accepted that "awesome"/"amazing" is just the new word for what we of the MTV generation used to call "cool".

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Whoever's taking this on: Don't write a book geared toward teenagers, no teenager would buy it (I mean who buys things anyway, is there a torrent of the PDF?)
In this age group (13-20), people want to be older than they are and typically do things they think the next group is doing. In this case 20-25 year olds.
Case in point: the "teen" center in my town is stocked mostly with 11-14 year olds.
I'm seventeen. Please don't just dumb the book down and say "FOR TEENAGERS!"

jeremymday

Post by jeremymday »

I have to think hard about this one Jacob... And Alex thank you for your input. Im glad to see people of all ages on the forum...
Im beginning to wonder, why is everyone worried about "dumbing down" the book? The book is done friends. Now it just needs marketed. That all happens outside the forum...
We are talking about ERE 2.0 here and how to get this idea, this philosophy, out to a broader audience.
Yes, by doing this you risk diluting the original brand. But if its done right you can also enhance it.
You are putting my brain to work Jacob and I like it...
I look forward to everyone else's thoughts...

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I'm with AlexOliver on his opinion.
And jeremymday has an equally useful point. Create some marketing for the under-21 crowd and you're done.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

I'm a teenager, and if I had the choice of

A) ERE book

B) ERE book "For Teenagers"

I would choose A just out of completeness. I think the fundamentals of the ERE book are applicable to all age groups. That said, I have yet to read the book yet. Just from what I've heard.

Most teens, however, would choose none of the above. My friends aren't interested in ERE. I think they still carry a romantic depiction of work and are still pressured by their peers to make a career. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the market.

Young adults (18-30?) are more interested in the topic. But their situation is well-covered by the ERE book, I think.
I think the best option for another ERE book is an abridged version+audiobook. The concept of ERE might overwhelm many, so the abridged version could help.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Here is an target group: (Compliments of HGTV "House Hunters".)
Two young marrieds just out of college. A boatload of student debt, looking at a $350,000.00 condo in Seattle. The condo is on the 5th floor, mostly glass walls, about 900 square feet of living space. They are expecting a child so they are figuring out how to incorporate a nursery--------------------
A target group or what?

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

@HSpencer, now I don't care what anybody says, that's funny! Well, in a sad sort of way. :)
My wife is addicted to those shows. :(

Maus

Post by Maus »

@Jacob

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! How could you surrender on your disdain for "awesomeness?" We have to hold back the cultural miasma that has rendered this word, which should signify abject, gut-wrenching apprehension of the numinous, into a bland bleat of approval.
I have to second the comments regarding writing a teen-oriented ERE version. If an adolescent is already intelligent and savvy enough to be interested in the ERE philosophy, they will be be more than capable of doing the work needed to understand your existing book. If, however, they are not ready either intellectually or emotionally, a version titrated down will hardly even register. In my experience, savings for the under-20 set have to be explicitly goal oriented. The purpose of savings tends to break down into three broad classes: 1) big purchase like a car or a European backpacking adventure; 2) many small purchases, like a regular diet of comics, I-tunes, mocha lattes, etc.; or 3) saving for college tuition. Perhaps the wiser course of action would be to write a book convincing the cohort in the third group to forgo college and dedicate the savings as to the larger goal of ERE; so the tone would be more why college is a poor investment rather than why ERE is so (God forgive me) awesome.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Maus - I realized how often I use the word "cool" in a non-temperature context, so I figured it would be hypocritical to lament that people use the word "awesome" in a non-awesome context.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

Another plus to foregoing college is the elimination white collar social symbol expectations, which often have a high price to value ratio compared to alternatives.
The Millionaire Next Door provides a few interesting perspectives on what parents wish for their children. Successful immigrant business owners often want their children to become professionals, like medical doctors or lawyers. Only to have the high social standards then prevent the children from becoming as wealthy as their parents, even though the parents earn less income.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Yeah, I'm beginning to see what you guys mean regarding college. It's a business and is no different than the corporate world. In fact, that's what college is for: To prime students to be good consumers and workers.

I may finish one year, re-evaluated my situation, then possible drop out and move on to other things.
Sorry to take the thread on a tangent.

I also agree with what Maus said regarding intelligence levels of those interested in ERE. Students interested in ERE probably don't need a version specific to their age group or a dumbed down version.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I started hearing the word "awesome" somewhere around the 1998 - 2000 time frame from my grand daughter. Everything was soooo awesome, or wow that's awesome!!

I really was of the thinking that "cool" went out with the internet push and was replaced by "kewl".

But us old folks don't know nuttin do we?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I also think what is needed is more of an "easy read" version than an age-specific version.
When I tried writing such a book, I found that it began to look a lot like YMOYL. Since I'm not happy about duplicating effort or competing on execution, I put the project on the backburner.

buzz

Post by buzz »

>figuring out what motivates the typical twenty year old.
sex and alcohol. if either can't be attained a doubling of the other is required to compensate.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Buzz
My wife has a recipe for a "Better than Sex" Chocolate Cake.
It has a half cup of Rum in it.
Maybe the 20 somethings would like a slice?

buzz

Post by buzz »

@HSpencer
This 20 something does :)

I love me some coconut malibu
BACK OT: How about doing a video series or podcast instead of another book? The medium change would be a good way to make it a distinct property as well as reach the intended audience, who is more likely to take something in media form rather than reading a book.

margomai

Post by margomai »

Hello, ERE!
In my opinion, this is a question of what motivates someone to consider ERE? (Or, with reference to this... what could motivate a teenager to consider ERE?)
I think a cornerstone (definitely for myself) of considering ERE includes:
a) Getting a FULL-TIME job, experiencing the realities of work life, but nonetheless
b) spending that money on frivolous things, and experiencing enough instances of buyer's regret that
c) one considers the underlying mechanisms that drive (a) and (b).
My question is then: If teenagers have limited/no personal experience of this "cycle" [is observing others sufficient?] and the consequences associated with it, then what other SERIOUS motivating factors are likely to come into play?

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Distaste of obligation.
Predisposition to frugality.
Want of freedom.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The book is fine in its current format for teenagers. It just needs examples that relate better to their current situation. For example, explain that if they purchased a used bike, learned to do the maintenance themselves, and gave up the idea of owning or using a car, they would only have to work part time during the summer to earn the same amount of money as their counterparts who work full time. Or show how developing a skill set and bartering with friends can produce results (trading those same bike repair skills for needed things like used sports equipment or tutoring or books). Or, if you're really interested in biking, trade time working in a bike repair shop for repair lessons and credit towards a bicycle purchase.
There are many applicable concepts in the book that don't force teenagers to look beyond their college years. It would be more like a prequel to ERE. My teens would pick it up if it said "learn to think and do for yourself and live free" or something like that.
And BTW, things are no longer awesome, they are epic.