ERE and the courage to make something from your life

Questions and comments
Hankaroundtheworld

ERE and the courage to make something from your life

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Why ERE is not so "common", it might be part of a bigger problem how humans approach Life (and what we are learned to do). I think Jacob already addressed it in his book, but see the article below, and some summary. It is a bit in your face, but for sure some truth in it.

Article:
https://medium.com/life-learning/2a1841f1335d

Summary of why people do not make a move to better their lives:
1 :: Because You Have Not Failed Enough
2 :: Because You Care What Others Think About You
3 :: Because You Think You Are Smarter Than You Are
4 :: Because You Don’t Read
5 :: Because You Lack Curiosity
6 :: Because You Don’t Ask Enough Questions
7 :: Because You Can’t Handle The Truth

Chad

Re: ERE and the courage to make something from your life

Post by Chad »

Those 7 points are definitely issues for people. I still think I haven't done enough of #1 yet.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Good list, but rather poorly written click-bait article; I found #3 "You're smarter than you think you are" particularly ironic since the author spends most of the article defending his intellectual superiority over the college-educated and his ability to crush anyone in any debate. "Because even when you think I’m not, I’m aware of my surroundings." "You will be addicted on the teat of truth." Honestly, did Dwight Schrute write this?

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I suppose to some degree it's all predicated on how you define success. I doubt I am successful in his eyes, but really, I couldn't care less. It's me, not him, who is burning a "cyclops type hole" in my face when I shave every morning. The list isn't bad, but there are may roads to Dublin, I've heard said. The attitude is tedious.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

What is more interesting is the unstated premise, which is that the goal of life is to "succeed" by "doing something amazing". Quite laudable goals, but not defined except perhaps by the use of the picture of Steve Jobs.

The real unstated goal of the article appears to be "to achieve a higher status than ones peers" And if you look at the author's blog, you see a person striving to be famous or influential: http://raymmar.com/about/about-me/#tab-id-2

There is a certain narcissism here that I would not want to emulate -- this person is unhappy. Laudably, he wants to change. But he may be asking the wrong questions. I would want to ask the author, "what would you do with yourself if you knew you were never destined to become famous or influential no matter what you did?"

This reminds me of the thesis that our real problems in the modern world, after meeting basic physical needs, are often related to "Status Anxiety", a book recommended here that I am reading now. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoShQEhl1ek The author of the blog seems to suffer from it quite deeply.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Lack of Hardship... If you've always been on easy street, and are content, why change anything? I'd say freedom and financial security, but most people would rather have comfortable cage.

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Thanks Dragline, you expressed what I was feeling when reading it. He is so desperate trying to be influential. I think that most people are reasonable happy, and they do not know how more happy it could have been because they did not really tried anything beyond their comfort zone, but is that bad? Is there a law that tells us to maximize happiness, like living to the Max? From that point of view, I agree with JohnnyH and this forum, just reach FI freedom, then at least you can try more without too mush risks, but with your own speed of change and "need" to reach even more happiness (if that can be even planned for -- which I think it cannot -- it is a by-product of fulfilling your personal goals)