Do you really understand ERE?

Questions and comments
Felix

Re: Do you really understand ERE?

Post by Felix »

Looks like bigato beat me to it. I'd say something similar. I also liked Ego's contextualization.

ERE is an individual-based systemic approach at optimizing life strategies towards a more efficient use of limited lifetime.

This frees up time and other resources for different use. Apply taking personal values, preferences and goals into account.

workathome

Post by workathome »

ERE is an environmentally sustainable lifestyle.

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

ERE, in a very general sense, is being able to choose your own path in life without having to answer to anyone (unless you decide to). And because you have this freedom, you are able to take more risks or spend your finite time on this earth doing things that matter to you.

ERE in theory is very simple, but can bog a person down due to all the preliminary work involved before things really take off.

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

Living within your means in all aspects of life, within self-defined bounds.

BobLandish

Post by BobLandish »

ERE is a method of lifestyle design used to achieve any combination of goals with the minimum of effort, energy, time and resources. This is achieved primarily by minimizing waste and aligning goals with the positive by-products of individual actions.

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk »

@lilacorchid I love your answer!

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

ERE is what you get (or where/who you are?) if you pick up Maslow's ladder, give it a twist and then fuse the two ends together with an invisible seam.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

7Wannabe5 wrote:give it a twist and then fuse the two ends together with an invisible seam.
Like a Mobius strip?

skintstudent

Post by skintstudent »

"ERE is the result of the accumulation of skills and resources that allow for the provision of one's future requirements without having to work for payment."

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

There are two aspects to ERE. The first is finding the best price on lentils. The second is remembering that you are a domesticated primate with a fairly short lifespan and acting accordingly.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I vote for luxagraf's definition.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yeah, we should probably combine the two by entering a YOLO ERE float in the Lentil Parade

http://www.lentilfest.com/activities/grand-parade/

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Don't forget, ERE starts with the very realization that if a person can consistently and significantly deviate from the convenient for a period of approximately five years, they are able to achieve a feedback loop that will free them to a significantly greater degree of control and choice over their life. Of course there are many corollary definitions for ERE after this point ;)

J_

Post by J_ »

Ere's object is your time, your health, your freedom and nature's resources. It is complex because it encompasses the whole of how you live. All ideas of it are geared not to spoil your time, your health, your freedom and nature's resources.

You start Ere by wondering about life. Realizing that you can choose how to live if you free yourself of ingrained patterns. Looking, thinking and learning... and than applying to see if the idea/skill/plan works for you. And than again. You strive to become antifragile in many ways.
Last edited by J_ on Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

almostthere

Post by almostthere »

ditto JamesR

rube

Post by rube »

Now, I am wondering if Jacob requires all registered users to have posted here befor he give his definition of ERE

ERE is a forum to browse while at work and a method to drive others / family members crazy :D

And:

"ERE is a hack to get out of the 'common' society"

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

BTW said
Like a Mobius strip?
Right.

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

There are a lot of positive side-effects with ERE, many are described over here, but to me, the essence of ERE is:
(a) Realizing that there is an optimal balance between spending and happiness, and that overspending (consumerism) does not lead to more happiness, plus you have to work all your life for that overspending. Also, by expanding your skills, you can avoid spending too much on Services (you create Value yourself)
(b) Realizing that if you safe enough in your early years, you become fast FI, which gives you the freedom to follow your heart

At least, that is what I see as the essence. The side-effects are plenty, like more healthy lifestyle (mind and body), etc..

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

ooeepss, I misunderstood, the question was to describe ERE and avoid financial explanations, so, lets retry:

The essence is
(a) Follow a lifestyle that has an optimal balance between creating personal happiness versus providing the personal effort or spending time to reach this
(b) Ensure that you reach freedom early in Life (not being dependent on somebody else), so that you can follow your personal goals without any limitation set by others

Actually not easy to avoid financial or money related topics

Ego

Post by Ego »

The forum section of ERE is becoming something akin to Ben Franklin's Junto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junto_%28club%29