Kindle or Paperback?

Questions and comments
5to9

Kindle or Paperback?

Post by 5to9 »

I just received an Amazon gift card as a present, and the first thing on my purchase list is to finally get the ERE book. In general my preference is toward the Kindle version of books, for convenience and space consumption reasons, but I find some books, especially ones with lots of graphs, etc. are really better in paper.

Is this a case where it's worth getting the paper book? Who has the paper version vs. kindle version, and what do you think?

I am very excited to finally read this and start moving along the path.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Kindle or Paperback?

Post by jacob »

Paperback! It's better formatted (the formatting that kindle allows is REALLY limited being a form of HTML with a reduced CSS instruction set) and it's crossreferenced with chapter and section numbers instead of hyperlinks. The graphs are probably the same, but the equations look much better on paper. Also, if you want to, you can sell the paperback to recover some money whereas you can't do that with the kindle.

That said, a substantial fraction prefers zero crossreferencing as they believe it destroys reading continuity. Also I think some skip the math parts (which with a couple of exceptions are only found in one chapter), so if you don't care about either of those, kindle is indeed more convenient.

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

Yes, I find that Kindle is great for anything that is entirely text-based, but suffers for any more advanced formatting. I like math, so it sounds like the paperback is worthwhile in this case!

Thanks!

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

The ERE book more resembles a technical textbook than most of what you'd read on the genre in that you should be truly participating, by doing among other things, crunching numbers. Cross referencing for me is also important, definitely part of what I really liked about the book.

I still can't enjoy e-readers for material like this.

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

It arrived today! I am somewhat amused that my journey is starting with the first new physical book I've purchased in a year, but it's about quality purchases, right?

Very excited to dig in this weekend.