Call for moderators (new and old)

Questions and comments
jennypenny

Re: Call for moderators (new and old)

Post by jennypenny »

bigato wrote:People, when writing here keep in mind that the moment you push the submit button your content instantly appears in hundreds or thousands of feed readers. Five or ten minutes after, it will be there for almost every subscriber. Also not too long after, a good percentage of people who don't subscribe to the RSS will have read it too. All these thousands of people won't check back after that to see if you changed your post. So, please think before you post because there is no going back. That's why you have both a preview button and also the capability to save drafts.

You don't go back in time editing what you said in real life and this is more like a discussion. You are not writing a book. If you changed your mind, write another post correcting yourself if necessary. This way readers will see it and we will keep some coherence in the topics. This is a forum, not a wiki.
I can't disagree with what you said. It's just that feeds aren't forever. Most posts wash out of people's feeds within a week. The forum posts are kinda permanent so it concerns me more that those posts say exactly what we meant to say. There have been several threads resurrected recently that were a year or two old. If someone misspoke a year or two ago, it might come back up in an old thread and make for uncomfortable feelings and/or discussions because the original conversation would be out of context.

Not trying to make a big deal out of it. Whatever you decide is fine :)

Ego

Post by Ego »

We had a long history with the old system where we could edit for days (was it days?) and now have a few weeks of experience with the new limited-edit one. I may be wrong but I don't remember any problems with out-of-context issues under the old system. As I don't use a reader I cannot comment on the RSS issue. Since the change we have had a few misunderstanding that may have been avoided with a simple prudent edit.

fips

Post by fips »

The more we discuss the better we could edit the category of this thread from "ERE Book/Blog/Forum" to "Politics, and other eternal disagreements". ;)

Both ways have advantages and disadvantages and probably it's partly a "problem" of what you are used to. Either way, editing vs. new post are just different ways of presentation. Maybe we could just have a poll of what most users think is more convenient?

However, if jacob and/or bigato have their reasons why it was changed (or as bigato already pointed out some very good reasons), so be it. I am just a fan of transparency and harmony.

Maybe a different solution would be to have an option to edit for 48h (if something like that is possible). That way, one can correct typos and clarify if the first two or three replies show simple confusion of the other forum users. On the other hand, it would ensure that one can't completely change his mind or take back some viewpoint after a few weeks.