Early Retirement Extreme Book

Questions and comments
thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

My employees gave me a gift card for bosses day and I used it to purchase the ERE book today from Amazon. I look forward to reading it.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Make sure you read it twice. It is dense with information. Must have been written by a scientist or something.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Agree with Dragline; also, take notes. I think more science-y people will find the math parts easier to handle, and more humanities/politics people will find the philosophy part easier to handle. When it comes to the calculations (2/3rds into the book if I remember correctly), plug your own numbers in and do several calculations. Perhaps the most eye-opening moment in my life.

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

I can't wait.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I did not read any of the forum info until after reading the book. That little green book changed my life in a big way.

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

The book arrived today from Amazon.

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

I am reading the book tonight and made it to page 6 or 7 before realizing just how much I have to learn about ERE. Why don't they teach this in school? Come to think of it, my grandparents lived this way. I just didn't see it as valuable. It's a shame.

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

I am on chapter 2 of the book. So far so good.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Ok I'll be the asshole to say it.... The fuck is "bosses day"???

m741

Post by m741 »

Yeah, i missed that in the original post. That sounds pretty sketchy! Bosses are not only bosses but get to have a day, too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss's_Day

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

@dragoncar It's a concept that has actually been around since the late 1950's http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/boss-day
I hadn't heard about it until a couple of years ago when I was relocated by my employer to my current office location (and it's certainly nothing I personally promoted to my employees if that's what you're thinking). I'd wager that I am not anything like the sterotypical boss that may have come to mind when you read the original post.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

"Ok I'll be the asshole to say it.... The fuck is "bosses day"???"
Monday through Friday.

mpbaker22

Post by mpbaker22 »

It really is a wonderful book. I've read chapters 1-6 so far, and it is really something else.
I might even buy it after I return it to the library :)

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

I finished the book. I went back and re-read chapters 6, 7, and the epilogue several times. Funny thing is I've been quoting it to my friends at work. Everyone wants to do it, but no one wants commit to the lifestyle changes. Several have said they do plan to read it after hearing me talk about it.