Need help thwarting spambots to speed up the forum again

Questions and comments
henrik

Post by henrik »

Confirm that it's been a lot better during the past few days. Only very occasional Cloudfare cache displays. Intrestingly, it seems to start acting up more around the time when people around the US get to work in the morning:) And the RSS seems to be working fine now!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Quick update -- forum is working normally for me again. Back to browsing....

justjohn

Post by justjohn »

It does seem to be running better. But I just tried to post and eventually got "500 Server Error

A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup. Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again.
URL: bb-post.php"
Worked on second try.
Oh, Jacob: do you know how much disk space the site uses? And do you use any wordpress plug-ins?

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

So I briefly put my toes back in the water a few hours ago. Forum seemed to be working fine for a bit but then as I attempted to edit one of my posts I was greeted by the familiar CloudFlare "website is unreachable" page and was then unable to even access the forum for the next several minutes. When it finally loaded it was the CloudFlare offline version. Took about 15 minutes of refreshing to get the live index page to load... and then, I tried to load a thread, and it hanged again...
I don't expect or request any kind of fix, especially if it's fine for the majority. I hate to break my ERE habit, as (for the most part) I really enjoyed the discourse here, but it looks like I'll be keeping this forum on the backburner. I'll stop in if I need specific advice but with these tech issues this is just too annoying to keep as a daily read. I've been reading the MMM blog lately and will most likely give it a go at those forums for my daily early retirement surfing needs. Maybe I'll see some familiar faces there?
(::Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, then crossing fingers in hopes that this post will go through::)

Spartan_Warrior

So I briefly put my toes back in the water a few hours ago. Forum seemed to be working fine for a bit but then as I attempted to edit one of my posts I was greeted by the familiar CloudFlare "website is unreachable" page and was then unable to even access the forum for the next several minutes. When it finally loaded it was the CloudFlare offline version. Took about 15 minutes of refreshing to get the live index page to load... and then, I tried to load a thread, and it hanged again...
I don't expect or request any kind of fix, especially if it's fine for the majority. I hate to break my ERE habit, as (for the most part) I really enjoyed the discourse here, but it looks like I'll be keeping this forum on the backburner. I'll stop in if I need specific advice but with these tech issues this is just too annoying to keep as a daily read. I've been reading the MMM blog lately and will most likely give it a go at those forums for my daily early retirement surfing needs. Maybe I'll see some familiar faces there?
(::Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, then crossing fingers in hopes that this post will go through::)

Spartan_Warrior

Spartan_Warrior

(Nope, going on ten minutes trying to push this post through. May I just say I've never in all my life on the internets experienced anything remotely this terrible?)

anomie

Post by anomie »

I am also having issues with the forum. Lately, it is running -- but very, very slowly. I truly believe that it is a victim of popularity -- of course web stats would confirm/deny this 'belief'.
I really enjoy / rely on this forum, and am not sure what to do. I read it on web browsers and via RSS feeds now on a tablet.

The MMM forum is no substitute for me.
I think it is a loss to the ERE community if members like Spartan_Warrior can not participate due to forum response.
Frustrated, but still here,

anomie