Need help thwarting spambots to speed up the forum again

Questions and comments
My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

Post by My_Brain_Gets_Itchy »

Forum is super fast today..

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

And yet still glitchy as hell. From what I can tell no one is able to see any of my recent posts in the "Can't Save? Here's Why" thread. (We'll see if anyone notices this one. o_o) My posts show up for me when I'm logged in, vanish when I'm logged out, and the thread post count goes from 179 to 172.
Needless to say this is annoying. On the other hand, perhaps it's just a well-needed sign to give up on that thread... ;)

Spartan_Warrior

That's it--I'm out. Can't deal with this anymore. Every fucking time I go to post I get the "Website is unreachable, try again" stuff, hang-ups, posts evidently showing up for no one but me--and I just don't have the patience or the time in the day. Maybe I'll check back in a month or so.
In the meantime, I've saved my journal. If I come back I'll repost it. If I start a new blog or journal elsewhere I'll come back and try to force through a post on my whereabouts, in case anyone's interested.
@Jacob: Please delete my journal thread here for privacy reasons.
It's been fun chatting with you and the forum's been a unique experience all around... even now, in being uniquely bad. Good luck all and thanks for all the fish.
(Let's see how long it takes to get this post through...)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Spartan_Warrior - It seems that the spam plugin marked your posts as spam. I've reverted them. If a post is marked as spam, only the poster and the moderators can see it. You should be good now.
Are you sure you want to have the thread deleted? If I do so, I can't revert it, ever.
On a personal level, I feel like cloudflare will throttle my attempts if I reload the forum too often. Maybe that's what's been happening to you? The way cloudflare works (decentralized), the site may appear fast to some but slow to others depending on how responsive their local server is.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

FYI, I had slowness earlier, but it's running better than ever now!

simplex

Post by simplex »

Hi Jacob,
I still have sometimes that the forum seems offline with cloudfare. Have you tried the bad-behaviour plugin?

squashroll

Post by squashroll »

Eh... Read through this thread. Not a computer guy, so I really don't get it.

I've been having A LOT of trouble using this forum. I find it interesting but its EXTREMELY slow. After clicking a link there is typically a 30 second or so wait. I'd really like to learn and participate, but this is quite the deterrent. Any fix on the horizon?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The speed goes between "stuck" and "ultrafast". One day it takes 5 minutes to get a page to load and the next day it loads at the blink of an eye, that is, 300 miliseconds :).
I cleaned up the blog to require less CPU processing. My account is no longer under any CPU restrictions. So I think it's a problem of 1) the site having outgrown its current host (shared server) and 2) the forum software not being designed to take this much load (there are a lot of lurkers!).
Some data ...

Blog pageviews per month: 120-150k

Forum pageviews per month: 300k (200k users, 70k spammers, 30k search engines)

Wiki pageviews per month: Dunno
This means either throwing money+time (to get a dedicated server) or time+more time (to figure out a better forum software solution and transfer the existing database) at the problem. I'm not interested in either.
Is anyone interested in taking over the forums? We could do a spin-off... PM me if interested. (Only people people who have written 200+ posts will be considered.)

henrik

Post by henrik »

@jacob If you don't mind losing exposure to search engines, consider restricting access to authenticated users. It should increase authentication load a little, but at the same time decrease traffic from spammers, search robots, lurkers etc. Might be a significant difference for a quick fix.

justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Jacob, do have any stats for amount of data transferred?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@justjohn - Cloudflare says 50.5Gb/month.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I haven't personally experienced any forum issues for a few days now.
Cloudflare says that spam hits have dropped from 70k/month to 50k/month.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Working great for me here!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Just one data point:
The site works fine for me everywhere but from home. I have ATT Uverse Internet. As an experiment, the site works fine on my phone over 3G, but as soon as I turn on my wifi at home, I get the same cloudfare "ere is offline" error that I do on my home computer.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Tyler9000, sounds like ATT cached a cloudflare page at a bad moment. Hopefully it clear up. It's been working quite well for me in general.
One note, it seems like a lot of readers here are also MMM readers. If things get bad, we could try to get an ERE subforum there. Assuming, that is, that the forum here isn't providing much revenue to Jacob.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Confirm that it's been a lot better during the past few days. Only very occasional Cloudfare cache displays. Intrestingly, it seems to start acting up more around the time when people around the US get to work in the morning:) And the RSS seems to be working fine now!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Quick update -- forum is working normally for me again. Back to browsing....

justjohn

Post by justjohn »

It does seem to be running better. But I just tried to post and eventually got "500 Server Error

A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup. Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again.
URL: bb-post.php"
Worked on second try.
Oh, Jacob: do you know how much disk space the site uses? And do you use any wordpress plug-ins?

Spartan_Warrior

So I briefly put my toes back in the water a few hours ago. Forum seemed to be working fine for a bit but then as I attempted to edit one of my posts I was greeted by the familiar CloudFlare "website is unreachable" page and was then unable to even access the forum for the next several minutes. When it finally loaded it was the CloudFlare offline version. Took about 15 minutes of refreshing to get the live index page to load... and then, I tried to load a thread, and it hanged again...
I don't expect or request any kind of fix, especially if it's fine for the majority. I hate to break my ERE habit, as (for the most part) I really enjoyed the discourse here, but it looks like I'll be keeping this forum on the backburner. I'll stop in if I need specific advice but with these tech issues this is just too annoying to keep as a daily read. I've been reading the MMM blog lately and will most likely give it a go at those forums for my daily early retirement surfing needs. Maybe I'll see some familiar faces there?
(::Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, then crossing fingers in hopes that this post will go through::)

Spartan_Warrior

So I briefly put my toes back in the water a few hours ago. Forum seemed to be working fine for a bit but then as I attempted to edit one of my posts I was greeted by the familiar CloudFlare "website is unreachable" page and was then unable to even access the forum for the next several minutes. When it finally loaded it was the CloudFlare offline version. Took about 15 minutes of refreshing to get the live index page to load... and then, I tried to load a thread, and it hanged again...
I don't expect or request any kind of fix, especially if it's fine for the majority. I hate to break my ERE habit, as (for the most part) I really enjoyed the discourse here, but it looks like I'll be keeping this forum on the backburner. I'll stop in if I need specific advice but with these tech issues this is just too annoying to keep as a daily read. I've been reading the MMM blog lately and will most likely give it a go at those forums for my daily early retirement surfing needs. Maybe I'll see some familiar faces there?
(::Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, then crossing fingers in hopes that this post will go through::)