IRC?

Questions and comments
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

With the wiki and the forum up and running, the only thin we don't have is an IRC or chat channel. Is that something I need to look into?
Well, that and ERE City and ERE Park..
See firefox instructions for freenode or the equivalent web-only instructions or other posts in this thread for how to log on.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

An advantage of a chat system (chat room) brings to light faster responses to comments. The forum is great, and one can take a lot of time to set thoughts on print, but, these thoughts can really get misunderstood at times. I might comment that grey haired old people are totally clueless. Someone might get offended and write me back a scalding rebuttal. In chat, I could quickly come back and say that I was only talking about my stupid neighbor, and that I did not mean "all" old people. That's an off the brain example but you will get the gist of it. Chat being more of a discussion between folks. It is more like talking about something and not just leaving a thought that someone may take out of context. In chat you would have the immediate opportunity to clarify, rather than waiting until you can get back on the forum, and thereby have to write a long "undo" or "restatement" of your comment.

I think the above makes sense? Also if we were in a chat situation, I could have probably given you this comment with a lot less wording.

I would say have a chat if possible. There of course will be those who prefer the forum, and those who prefer the blog comment section. I would go for all of it. Also, I think "cliques" would be formed in chat. That's not so much the case in forum, as if you don't like something I say, you can just ignore my post. Here, to date, I would not think the chat would need moderation, but I could be wrong.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Haven't been on irc in a long time, but can't you just start a channel? Hang out at #earlyretirementextreme and see who shoes up. In my experience, it'll probably end up filled with peole saying nothing for hours.

m741

Post by m741 »

It might be worth starting, but I don't know if there's too much to say about ERE in a chatroom. Particularly since people are in all different time zones.

paxprobellum

Post by paxprobellum »

I agree with Bigato. IRC would be fun, but only at "scheduled times" when a lot of people could be on. Being in a chatroom full (or empty) of AFK people isn't super exciting.

Surio

Post by Surio »

> Well, that and ERE City and ERE Park..

I look forward to one of that :-)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Maybe someone (bigato?) provide a time and noob instructions in the meetup forum? I have never been on IRC myself.
I would say by far most of the people visiting the blog are on EST and PST times. While there are people from all over the world, it's pretty US dominated.

44deagle

Post by 44deagle »

Might as well make have one, it takes almost no time and effort to setup.

buzz

Post by buzz »

IMO there's no need to setup an ERE IRC server, as it wouldn't get enough traffic to warrant an entire IRC configuration. There are many "open" servers that you (Jacob) can virtually set up shop in. Then you can set up a simple web page on the ERE site with pjIRC's java applet configured to auto join said channel. Ask if you need help with this as I have a lot of experience with IRC. Some servers I would recommend:
irc.efnet.net:6667 The big daddy of all IRC servers, 25,000+ channels, has been around for 19 years. Info: http://stats.efnet.org/
irc.ext3.net:6667 I know the people who run this, and am already connected to this server around 12 hours a day, so I may be biased, but it is reliable and more "private" than a globally hosted option(efnet) Info: http://ext3.net/stats/list-of-channels-with-stats/ext3/
irc.freenode.net An excellent server, but they have strict guidelines on channel creation. Look into it to avoid being shut down. Info: http://freenode.net/policy.shtml
Or you can whip up your own html chat from 1995 like 99.com :P

S

Post by S »

We're chatting. Come say hi.

Marg

Post by Marg »

Another option is skype. I always thought of skype as voice/video chat but they actually do a very nice job with group text chatting. I like it better than any other IM programs for group chats. I've used it in other contexts and it's been great.
You set up a conversation (sort of a persistent chat room) and whoever is online can see the conversation in that room whenever they login. You have to add people to the room, which I like, but if the point is being available for people to just wander in and ask questions then it wouldn't work as well. I guess it depends on what is wanted, though.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Isn't IRC basically global? It shouldn't matter which server you use. I'm there now, but akratic is ignoring me. Wake up, dude!

Rex

Post by Rex »

For those of you using Firefox, you can download the Chatzilla extension. To access the channel, follow these steps:
Tools >> Chatzilla >> select "freenode" from the list of available networks; simply click on it >> once the server connects, type "/join #ere" minus the quotation hashes and you'll enter the channel. You can right-click on the #ere tab and select "Open this channel at Start-up," so when you open Chatzilla any subsequent times, you'll automatically log into the #ere channel without any additional actions beyond opening Firefox and Chatzilla.
A couple commands are as follows:
/nick ____ - Substitute the underscored area for the nickname you wish to use (you can add |____ to show your nick and then AFK/lunch/sleep, et cetera)

/join #___ - Substitute the underscored area for the channel you wish to join

/server ____ - Substitute the underscored area for the server to which you wish to connect

/me ___ - Substitute the underscored area for the action you wish to perform, eg. Nick goes to get lunch.

/quit - To log out of the channel and server and to close Chatzilla
I don't think I'm missing any majorly important commands off the top of my head.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I tried out the http://webchat.freenode.net - put in my username and #ere for channel and bam there I was. Very easy. Takes 30 seconds and requires no downloads.
Would anyone be interested in attending a virtual meetup? Perhaps we can schedule on a weekend so we can have multiple time zones attend. Perhaps a Sunday morning block of time? Would that work for some people who would be interested?
Edit: Sunday Morning Mountain Standard Time, which is GMT - 7:00, you have to add 8 hours to get to most European countries.

akratic

Post by akratic »

If I'm home during the scheduled time, I would definitely attend. I think this is a great idea!
Signing onto the empty #ere channel is no fun, but the chat room was great the first day when we had enough people for a conversation.
I think you probably need to just pick a date and time and see what happens. Asking people for input when scheduling group things never seems to work.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

I've been logging on here and there, mostly no one's around, but occasionally I get a few words in.
It would be good to chat to more people, I'm usually on around 5pm or midnight Western US time (I think!)

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

OK, here goes my attempt at getting a Virtual Meetup going.
Let's aim for the Virtual Meetup Day of Friday, December 23. If you are interested in trying to catch some people in the forum, sign in any time, day or night, on Friday, December 23.
Signing in cannot be easier. In your browser, navigate to http://webchat.freenode.net, put in your desired nickname, put in #ere for Channel, and then fill in the Captcha. Click connect. It may take a few seconds, but this will directly pull you in to the chat room. No downloads required.
I will sign in at approximately 8AM Mountain time (10AM Eastern, 4PM CET) and will be in most of the day. I have the day off work; I intend to spend some time puttering around the house working on a few things, but will likely pop on and off the computer throughout the day and possibly evening in support of Virtual Meetup day.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

I'll try to get my arse online sometime then!

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Ok, that's 2am on the 24th Australian time.
I might be on around 9/10 am here, which is 5pm on the 23rd Mountain time.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Heys, I'll be on for the next few hours, if anyone wants to chat about ERE, Investing or any old thing just pop in, be patient, I'm also making a cheesecake :).