The Law Against Social Parasites

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
enigmaT120

Re: The Law Against Social Parasites

Post by enigmaT120 »

What's the catch again? Valleys where the sun never shines? And having to become polylingual?
...did I spell that wrong?

Brute, they can't grow cocoa there. So if there are taxes on imported food, it is probably expensive there.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Cheap chocolate is 6.- per kg, it's ok.
From 14.- per kg, you get good chocolate.
At 35.- per kg it can be excellent.
Then, you can pay as much as you want.
We have some valley with very little sun in winter, but you don't have to live there.
Basic staple aren't more expensive than anywhere else, but besides this and alcool, everything is. Restaurant are very expensive (I remember being in key west and thinking that it was as expensive as switzerland).

For anglo-saxons, the catch is that you will have to learn a lot to create a new social network for you. People will leave you alone and you might have to ask people if you want to do things with them. Then if you are annoying (most people that fail to get into our circles do so because they lie about themselves to make themselves more interesting), it will be difficult. Modesty is very valued. Respecting peoples privacy is too. People will seem cold because they respect your privacy. Famous people don't live here becauses of taxes (other places are cheaper), but because they can walk around without being disturbed all the time. People will not seek contact, they will assume that you have a life and don't want to be disturbed, unless you seek contact yourself (but if you look too comfortable, people will assume you already have enough friends and don't need them).
I would say that the culture is more similar to scandinavian countries than it is to france or germany. Maybe jacob can detail this?
And you're expected to learn the local language (french or italian, or the local german dialect).

As I already own real estate, I would benefit directly from more people coming there, but as I wish to buy more, I would like you to wait some more years.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

that feel when they price their chocolate in kilograms..
even $35/kg is cheaper than quality chocolate is here. brute regularly pays $4+ for a bar (100g) of 90% Lindt.
he does not know how Lindt compares to "good" or "excellent" Swiss chocolate.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I like Lindt, but you get better chocolate for this price in switzerland. We don't price it in kg, I do, because I used to compare every food for efficiency (gramm of nutrients per cent).

Solvent

Post by Solvent »

The chocolate is often sold in 100g blocks which makes extrapolation to price/kg pretty simple. By the way, in the French, a 'block' of chocolate is a 'tablette'. This explains a pun in Air France's safety video, if you happen to have flown with them recently. It amused me that my French comprehension was good enough for that, at least. I buy the stuff at 6 CHF/kg, mostly. The better stuff doesn't seem to justify the markup, in my opinion.

I think the food is generally expensive, but you might be surprised how much is still produced in Switzerland rather than imported.

Although I guess no-one except the military actually knows of their strategies for sure, I think it's generally accepted that in case of an invasion from the North or West that the Swiss would evacuate and abandon their cities on the Swiss plateau and essentially fight guerrilla warfare while fortifying bases in the alps. The population centres are not as impregnable as the common perception would suggest. I think the idea is that rather than making invasion impossible, the idea is to make invasion so costly that it would be unpopular.

It's amusing and frightening in equal measures that a number of Swiss, while doing their obligatory military service, forget they are carrying guns and leave them on trains every year.