"Firehose of Falsehood" Propaganda Model

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Gilberto de Piento

"Firehose of Falsehood" Propaganda Model

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Misinformation is being used effectively in politics right now. The paper below does not address whether or not Russia is influencing US politics but rather describes the model that Russia is using and why it is difficult to counter. Although the model below is being referred to as "Russian" I see a lot of what is described being used by domestic US influencers as well, such as Trump:
Distinctive Features of the Contemporary Model
for Russian Propaganda
1. High-volume and multichannel
2. Rapid, continuous, and repetitive
3. Lacks commitment to objective reality
4. Lacks commitment to consistency.
https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/p ... _PE198.pdf

Dragline

Re: "Firehose of Falsehood" Propaganda Model

Post by Dragline »

Gaslighting on a grand scale with crowd psychology.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

The lack of consistency is clever!
If you could easily spot what is propaganda, based on it looking like something you've seen before, pattern recognition kicks in and rejects the propaganda. If it's all over the place people will be completely unable to form a pattern unless they have an trained bullshit detector.

To quote the movie Snatch:
Sneaky fucking Russians!

Ego

Post by Ego »

@Gilberto, fabulous find. This should be required reading for everyone.

almostthere

Post by almostthere »

Excellent reminder about the need to guard what enters the mind because I am not as good as I think I am at discerning objective reality.

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

I saw this linked on Facebook and just dropped it in the Trump thread. Good read.

Read this and then watch Hypernormalisation. Might need to set aside an enitre afternoon.

I'll also drop this here. Elkus is a good strategy writer with his roots in the Boyd community.

The Strategy of (Subversive) Conflict

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

It is an informative article, particularly when you apply the same critical thinking toward it as any other propaganda. In reading it, I found it remarkably easy to mentally substitute the word "Russia" with "America" throughout. Compare:
original wrote:"The Kremlin’s spin machine wants to portray Russia as a besieged fortress surrounded by malevolent outsiders."
alternate wrote:"Washington's spin machine wants to portray America as a besieged fortress surrounded by malevolent outsiders."
Particularly telling that their fourth and fifth recommendations were, in layman's terms rather than their ironically manipulative couching phrases, "(pre-emptive) counter-propaganda" and "censorship".

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

The ribbonfarm article has a link to another good one: http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016- ... -election/.
How to Hack an Election
Andrés Sepúlveda rigged elections throughout Latin America for almost a decade. He tells his story for the first time.