The Gary Johnson thread

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Spartan_Warrior

Re: The Gary Johnson thread

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I can't believe what's happening on multiple levels, but I particularly can't believe how low both third parties ended up polling. So much for 5%.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I voted Johnson after having made up my mind months ago. I haven't seen any tallies but about all I hoped to accomplish was to help him get to 5% and take a little money away from the morons in red and blue.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Yeah, I'm amazed at how low the Johnson vote was. If libertarians can't pull 5% from Tweedledee and Tweedledum, well, maybe there is no fix.

My prediction is no "signature legislation", as Trump is just so unpopular right out of the gate, Dems picking up the Senate in the midterms, and the White House in 4 years.

In the mean time, nothing much accomplished.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Johnson had a long string of terrible onscreen moments that just made him look like an idiot. Aleppo, not being able to name a foreign leader, whatever that thing with his tongue hanging out was..

also, Trump kind of came around on the "being presidential" thing these last few weeks.

brute has to give it to Scott Adams, that guy saw it coming miles away.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I would say calculated lack of exposure in the media--that is, total black-out of anything that isn't a gaffe--played a part for both third parties. Ironically, I suspect more Americans now associate "Aleppo" with Gary Johnson than with Syria. The tongue thing was just... what was that?

You would think with how low the Greens* ended up polling, we wouldn't have to listen to the angry Democrats vote shaming us as with Nader, and yet it's already begun in spades. If anything it seems to me Johnson took more votes from Trump than from Clinton, and Jill had no meaningful mathematical impact in any state from what I can tell (or rather what data has been angrily hurled at me). It MIGHT have made a difference in WI or MI, but those wouldn't be enough electoral votes. This was a landslide.

*Really, both third parties, although together they did pull more than Nader's 3%.

I have to be honest, with ranked choice voting, it would've been Stein > Johnson > Vermin Supreme > abstain from voting (unless gun to head)> Trump > Clinton, for me. I simply did not "cost" her a vote; she never had it.

What do you think, was Clinton the second choice for any of you Johnson voters?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

An article on where the third party candidates were the strongest and how it may have affected the outcome.