The Gary Johnson thread

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
almostthere

The Gary Johnson thread

Post by almostthere »

Since we have a Hilary and Trump thread, I thought I should start the Gary Johnson thread. A friend of mine recently told me about him. As the Libertarian candidate, he is not embarrassing (he was a two term New Mexico governor) and that is much more than can be said for at least one of the other two choices. I was contemplating 'no vote' until I found him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Johnson

I'd think he'd poll well on this forum.

saving-10-years

Re: The Gary Johnson thread

Post by saving-10-years »

Johnson lives in Taos, New Mexico,[138][139] in a home that he built himself.
(from the Wikipedia article linked above.

I suppose its too much to expect that he really built all that house (or perhaps any of if) but that sounds promising from an ERE perspective. Any chance at all that he could win?

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I won't hold my breath for a Jill Stein thread here. :lol:

GandK

Post by GandK »

saving-10-years wrote:Any chance at all that he could win?
Not without a grass roots initiative that has no precedent.

C40

Post by C40 »

There's no way he'll win. He's just aiming for 15%. If I vote, I expect it will be for him.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

definitely the only votable candidate. but what makes him not a bullshitter also makes him unelectable, because democracy is the process of finding the biggest bullshitter.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute is feeling (bad for?) The Johnson. what is Aleppo? anyone else suspect that he did this on purpose to get ANY media attention?

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Non-interventionist trolling.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

BRUTE wrote:brute is feeling (bad for?) The Johnson. what is Aleppo? anyone else suspect that he did this on purpose to get ANY media attention?
I liked his response about it later (basically 'it happens').

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Adds to his credibility as an isolationist. :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

:lol:

bryan

Post by bryan »

Well, the only way he wins requires the unlikely event that Hillary/Trump don't get the 270 votes they need (he wins a few electoral college votes, hard). http://www.270towin.com/maps/three-way-electoral-map In that case the election goes to the house (1800, 1824, 1876 were similar). At which point the HoR decides via majority state delegation votes (each rep. for a state votes in his delegation, the winner gets the delegation vote, if tie no vote for that state). So winner declared by >25/50 states. Currently there are more republican states so Hillary should have close to 0% chance to win via HoR, but it's doubtful Trump or Johnson would get 26 votes either (I imagine many republicans voting Johnson instead of Trump).

It would be a shit-show and wouldn't be surprised if VP elect (who the hell knows how that vote would go since separate from President, in the HoR or Senate) gets sworn in as acting president before the HoR can choose between Johnson/Trump.

If you really want your no-Trump, no-Hillary vote to matter, you should move to UT/NM/NH/AK/MT/WY/NV/CO to vote for Johnson or FL/PA/CO/NC/IA/OH to vote for Trump (in this case, a vote for Trump actually increases odds of Johnson winning). Granted, I think Hillary has it in the bag (see previous list of Dem states). Would be nice if Trump did Johnson a favour and won FL, IA, OH.
Last edited by bryan on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute's definitely rooting for a shit-show

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

It isn't already?

GandK

Post by GandK »

YES

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

always potential for more shit in the show

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

"What's a Johnson?"
Sorry, folks... I just had to blurt that one out. Blame it on the paint fumes. Agreed, his explanation afterwards was very humanizing.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

that should be his new slogan^^

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

If Hillary is doing well in my state I'll vote for Johnson. I liked this interview: http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2016/08/10/ ... ibertarian. Unless Michelle Obama somehow runs at the last second, then I'm voting for her. :)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

what the fuck is El Johnson doing? can't name a single foreign leader? brute will admit it's hard to name a libertarian role model, but at least say something..

and he had another few Aleppo type gaffes. brute was watching the Fusion Forum with El Johnson and his VP Bill Weld, and Weld came off way smarter and eloquent. Johnson had to be reminded what gerrymandering was, several times didn't understand the question and Weld had to jump in..

the more brute sees from Johnson, the less impressed he is.

edit: Bill Weld, not Ward. oops.
Last edited by BRUTE on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.