Tired of the Media and how it Essentially Rewards Violence, including the Often Reinforcing Social Justice Crowd

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
enigmaT120

Re: Tired of the Media and how it Essentially Rewards Violence, including the Often Reinforcing Social Justice Crowd

Post by enigmaT120 »

BRUTE wrote:
wood wrote:Someone should start a media channel and cover the media.
who watches the watchmen?
I read that book.

JamesR

Re: Tired of the Media and how it Essentially Rewards Violence, including the Often Reinforcing Social Justice Crowd

Post by JamesR »

fiby41 wrote:
JamesR wrote: that was nothing but good, positive, uplifting news (or the complete opposite of the sensationalism & reinforcement of status quo & fearmongering).
This good enough for you? /r/UpliftingNews: In The midst of dallas shootings people rushed to protect a baby stroller.
Interesting, reddit/r/UpliftingNews came off as a bit bizarre to me. A lot of the stories on the front page appeared to be based on some negative - ecological destruction, chernobyl, bullying, or someone that has cancer/austim/down syndrome, etc. So it was actually more depressing than regular news lol. Not to mention the example you linked - dallas shootings.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

jennypenny wrote:
IlliniDave wrote:The secret conspiracy nut inside of me arches an eyebrow at this latest sequence of rather sensational (and, of course, tragic) events since their timing hardly could have been better in terms of moving the national spotlight off the bizarre actions of the FBI Director regarding Mrs. Clinton and onto things that are favorable for her politics (race and guns).
I agree with you. I have an acquaintance on another forum who keeps a list of all such coincidences, and it's LONG. (I wish I could link to it but it's a private forum.) IIRC, the last time was when that reporter was shot the day after the market crash in August. I don't agree with all of this entries--he starts at Rumsfeld's announcement about the 'missing' DoD money the day before 9/11, which I think is mischaracterized--but it's a fascinating list to ponder.

I started keeping fact sheets on all big news stories when I worked with a couple of reporters. It's illuminating to see the facts lined up without any spin. I'm keeping some again because I've agreed to work the presidential election. What I'm finding most difficult this time is deciding on where to list each event. HRC's sheet is a convoluted mess. I started color-coding the entries to make it less confusing. I'm not taking a shot at HRC per se, just pointing out what a tangled web her story is and how interconnected so many of the news stories are. I wasn't keeping a sheet on black on blue/blue on black violence, but after this week I'll have to and reconstruct what I've missed. It might affect the election, so I'll need it.
Please, DO, take a shot at HRC.... :)

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

JamesR wrote:I recently had this idea that there should be a news channel dedicated to nothing but good news. 24/7 coverage of good news.
You can make your own --- a/k/a, a gratitude journal.

I also find that taking lots of pictures of people enjoying themselves makes me feel good, and the people I share them with.

Especially if there are dogs in them. :D

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

Dragline wrote:
JamesR wrote:I recently had this idea that there should be a news channel dedicated to nothing but good news. 24/7 coverage of good news.
You can make your own --- a/k/a, a gratitude journal.

I also find that taking lots of pictures of people enjoying themselves makes me feel good, and the people I share them with.

Especially if there are dogs in them. :D
Dogs are spiritual beings, for sure....