Hyper Inflation

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
tommytebco

Re: Hyper Inflation

Post by tommytebco »

@vexed87 I agree that my timing was all wrong. But, at the time, all the "talking heads" were in agreement that gold was the answer and had charts and graphs showing progression from $500ish to well over a thousand dollars per ounce. As often happens, price soon plummeted to near $200 and stayed below my purchase price for decades.

All commodities are to some degree inflation proof. My take on the lesson was to beware of commodities in general. Maybe too much so.

As in all investing practices, the devil is in the details. Since then, I have tried to be contrarian when I notice herd mentality. It has worked from time to time.

My personal investing shortcoming is a lack of clear exit strategy. I've always been "buy and hold".

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Hyperinflation shouldn't be seen in isolation but rather as a symptom of a bigger and more complex problem that can't be treated in isolation either. While there might be a financial cure for the financial symptom that stabilizes the broker portfolio, a financial strategy is not going to solve the problem of missing food on the shelves, widespread unemployment, theft, riots, or soldiers in the street.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Maybe there are things that you judge more important to preserve than capital or your life? A survival strategy is important. An exit strategy is important. But, is that your purpose, your passion, your joy in living? Seems like a rather sad self-referential loop to me. We do not have to survive. You, in particular, are not going to survive. Deal with that. Then be free.

I (old,chubby, white woman who can't do one push-up) am going to ride my bike through a neighborhood judged to be one of the scariest on the planet today because not enough other people care that radioactive waste is being processed there because they are all keeping themselves and their money safe and comfortable someplace else. "Bawk-bawk! Bawk-bawk!" That's what I will yell out at all the hidden masses of the risk-averse as I ride.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

It means your name is "Leonardo" or "Michaelangelo". You can turn any name into a Renaissance name by adding -nardo or -angelo.

Like Codynardo and Taylorangelo. Yeah. :lol:

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

You sure you wouldn't prefer "Jeffreynardo"? It sounds more aristocratic.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I am now picturing you in a Ninja Turtles costume.

Ego

Post by Ego »

GandK wrote:I am now picturing you in a Ninja Turtles costume.
...with a sawzall, a tool belt and really nice kitchen.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

You could lose the R in a sketchy neighborhood, or a seedy bar. Nobody would fuck with The Jeffnado: a whirlwind of fists and angle grinders.