Peak Homesteading

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
jennypenny

Peak Homesteading

Post by jennypenny »

A blog post from rootsimple ... Is the Urban Homesteading Trend Over?

Is it? I've noticed this a little, but mostly because the homesteaders I know do it for prepper reasons, and we've definitely hit Peak Prepping. I've had a couple of people ask me recently if I'm "still trying to do that homesteading thing." :roll:

vexed87

Re: Peak Homesteading

Post by vexed87 »

It seems logical that people show less interest in homesteading as confidence in the economy recovers, now doubt search trends will match boom and bust cycles going forwards.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I haven't been paying attention [to the urban homesteading segment], but I do note that such things (including ERE) surface on a fourth generation/Kondratieff cycle. If you want to know more" check out [what was done/published during the] the 1970s, 1930s, 1890s, 1840s, ... You'll find the same sentiments getting (re)discovered and (re)framed over and over.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Unless cutting wood is fitness and lesuire for an individual burning wood is a waste of time. Propane is currently less than $1 gallon. Two years ago it was four times as much and way colder. Maybe el nino winters are part of the trend away from dyi in home heating?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

El Nino winters ... *LOL* ... in the northern central US, the effect is to smooth out the seasons, so we get colder summers and hotter winters. This effectively means less utility costs in both seasons. However, other regions experience El Nino differently and most costly.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

jacob wrote:El Nino winters ... *LOL* ... in the northern central US, the effect is to smooth out the seasons, so we get colder summers and hotter winters. This effectively means less utility costs in both seasons. However, other regions experience El Nino differently and most costly.
Ok obviously I'm a midwesterner (have lived in MN, IA, WI, MI and SD) and like el nino :roll: . I have been around long enough to see wood heat fall in and out of fashion a couple of times as fossil fuel prices and severity of winters have gyrated ;) .

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

There's also peer to peer learning, buying used books, library, simple market saturation and bookmarked pages.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

In my neck of the woods, it's a way life.