School shootings and gun control

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
7Wannabe5

Re: School shootings and gun control

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Sclass: lol- I have a very long fuse, but am a big girl, and I know that I have at least startled a man on occasion by doing something like jumping up and screaming because he pushed my very last button. The thing I have had to learn to be smarter about is being too verbally provocative. Once in a while, I will say something for which I would expect a response from a "normal" man along the lines of "Oh, brother" with eye-roll, at worst, and instead I get a very angry, frightened reaction. What I learned to do in that situation is try to switch to very calm, submissive, respectful behavior ASAP. Weak dominants can be very dangerous, like wounded animals. My friend who ended up calling the cops on his ex-wife is sort of a Ted Nugent type, and he got some ribbing for making the call because she was a pretty tiny woman, but he said "Can't you imagine calling for help if you were dealing with a crazed raccoon?"

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

My takeaways from the recent posts:

1. Avoid relationships with people prone to angry rages and violence (or other mental instability).

2. Avoid hanging around people who have guns if you are unsure about their temperment.

3. 1 & 2 are really bad when combined.

Sometimes I wonder if growing up with a few crazy people makes it easier for me to avoid crazy people than for others.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Dragline: I know that growing up with a few crazy people makes it harder for me to avoid crazy people than others. Probably because of being the oldest daughter of a mentally-ill mother. I self-identify as the one who can make the situation better. I used Charlie Sheen as an example above because when he was being vilified by the media, I saw a picture of him and my immediate reaction was "Oh, poor puppy, look at his eyes, he doesn't know what he's doing." Stamp me "Girl most likely to adopt Rott-Pit mix with severe anxiety disorder (or any number of variations on this theme which initially seem different) from the pound because a happy, well-adjusted golden retriever doesn't need me and the Rott-Pit seems more like brother-by-another-mother-like-mine-person-who-gets-it." AAARGH....

Here's an illustrative "funny" gun story from my personal files. My ex enters my home at 3 in the morning, and I wake up to find him standing over me while I sleep, and he rambles incoherently on the theme of why I should take him back, and then leaves without too much fuss. I make the serious mistake of relating this incident to my mother. She calls my ex and tells him that if he does anything like that again, she has a gun and she will use it (absolute lie-thankfully, she has never owned and has no clue how to operate a gun or work a remote control or anything mechanical.) So, my ex gets a restraining order against my mother.