Trump - Clown Genius

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
jennypenny

Re: Trump - Clown Genius

Post by jennypenny »

Exciting night. I hope it promotes higher voter turnout in the upcoming primaries. It's refreshing to see a race on both sides of the aisle for a change.

Clinton must be relieved. You gotta wonder if they're holding back on the investigation until after Sanders knocks her out of the race so they won't be accused of influencing the election. From what I've read, it sounds like her best chance of avoiding an indictment is securing the nomination.

Chad

Post by Chad »

It's really difficult to be interested in this presidential race when none of the candidates are good.

GandK

Post by GandK »

It's the uncertainty, Chad. I don't recall people being this interested in an election since the Bush/Gore "hanging chads" fiasco in Florida, whatever year that was. And the last time I remember the primaries being this exciting was in 1991/1992 when Ross Perot ran. No one knows what will happen next.

@jennypenny

I'm not sure if Clinton is relieved. CNN has a piece this morning about how much money she spent to very little effect in Iowa.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Clinton actually said she is relieved last night ("breathing a sigh of relief") and to my ear the way she said it was sort of off-putting, like she was entitled to the win and barely avoided an injustice. But I have to admit she is near the bottom of the list of candidates to me--just very unlikeable, so I'm not very objective once she starts talking.

There are a lot of people out there among the useful idiots who recognize that over the last 8 years "politics" has been the enemy of the common person. Both sides are to blame. Hence the "grassroots" appeal of Trump and Sanders (though ironically I think Sanders is a career politician, just so far left he escapes people's frustrations with ineffectual progressive-ism). Cruz being a tea party-er is similar, but he has enough of a track record that he actually scares me. The last thing we need is more rigid ideology and my-way-or-the-highway attitudes. The problem with ideologues is that to them the ideology becomes the end and the people get forgotten, rather than being the means by which to serve the people.

I don't particularly like any of the candidates as a president, but I do find the storyline of the primaries interesting.

Chad

Post by Chad »

The problem is that I don't care too much who wins, as I don't really like any of the candidates...I just dislike candidates to varying degrees (a lot: Cruz, Trump, Sanders; a little less dislike: Clinton and Rubio). That's all I was saying. Much harder to be interested when you don't want any of them to win. Concerning uncertainty, see below:

I don't see the level of uncertainty everyone is talking about. Sure, it's slightly more than normal, but that isn't saying much. Iowa is not very representative of the greater US and the extreme candidates still barely kept up with the standard bearers (Clinton and Rubio). Huckabee (2008) and Santorum (2012) won Iowa before, and neither had a chance of winning the overall nomination. Surprisingly, the bigger uncertainty is on the Democratic side, but I still don't see Sanders holding up over the long-term. He isn't as good a speaker as Obama was during the 2008 campaign and he is very extreme.

Of course, if Bloomberg or Jerry Brown jumped in I might be interested. Not that I think either would have a chance.

GandK

Post by GandK »

ffj wrote:I don't like any of them either, but I especially loathe Clinton. I have already told my wife that I will vote for anyone other than her, even if it is Trump. She responded by saying she would have to divorce me if I help get Trump into office, but that is how much I can't stand Hillary. Every word out of that woman's mouth is a contrived, calculated, attempt at manipulation. Clinton, that is. :)
:lol: I said the exact same thing about Clinton, word for word, to G. I then added, "but I hate Trump almost as bad, so if the contest is between Trump and Sanders, I would vote for Sanders." And G said he'd divorce me if I did that.

I'm now wondering if every politically-aware married household in America is on the brink of collapse. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

ffj wrote:I don't like any of them either, but I especially loathe Clinton.
I completely agree. If she gets the nomination I will probably register to vote just so I can say I tried to keep her out.

Although no one on the other side is appealing at all, as others have stated. Cruz would be the closest I think but he is so regimented and very pro-war from what I can see. Trump is slicker than a salamander, I don't know how people can believe it when talks about "I'm doing this for you....because I love you guys!". :oops:

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@ffj, I think a lot of it might come down to 'she'd be the first woman president!' and so ' I must be a part of this historic vote!' . :roll: It just speaks volumes about the level of critical thought going on around us.

Chad

Post by Chad »

For me, I'm voting for Clinton to keep the others out. Not because I particularly like her, but because it would be more of the same. Yes, more of the same would suck, but what Cruz, Trump, and Sanders are selling is worse. I will take the moderate I know over the extremists I don't know. Is she a bad person? Absolutely, but so are the others (except maybe Sanders, but his policy ideas are shaky). Rubio is the only other candidate that has a chance with me, but I'm nervous about his greeness. All bad choices, but not making a choice isn't a great option either.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm OK with leaving the position vacant and letting Biden be the acting President until a suitable candidate is found.

cmonkey wrote:@ffj, I think a lot of it might come down to 'she'd be the first woman president!' and so ' I must be a part of this historic vote!' . :roll: It just speaks volumes about the level of critical thought going on around us.
Cruz and Rubio are both Cuban which is also historic. If either of them is the nominee it might split some of the vote based on that kind of sentiment.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Lets just vote jacob for president, jp for vice president, Dragline for Sec of State, GandK for Treasury, etc.... any other nominations?

The rest of us will form the parliament.

We will form a new ERE country.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I'm in. :D

You don't want me in charge of the treasury. I avoid dealing with money whenever possible. An ambassadorship, maybe.

Let's see... in addition to seconding the above:

I nominate 7wannabe5 for Secretary of the Treasury. She will redefine wealth. Possibly cash as well.

I nominate Ego for Secretary of Transportation. He will make everyone bike or walk everywhere.

I nominate theanimal for Secretary of the Interior. He will take good care of all the public lands.

I nominate Zalo for Secretary of Contemplation. Because why not? And he's good at it.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'd nominate Ego for any position except Sec. of Health and Human Services. He'd make us drink that soylent stuff and force us to get our poop tested regularly. :P

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

We need some competition here.

I nominate C40 for Treasurer for his chart awesomeness. We will never have any financial mysteries in ERE land.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I'm in as long as I'm allowed to talk like Ben Stein with a fake Henry Kissinger accent.

And I don't have to have my poop tested. :P

Ego

Post by Ego »

Poop Czar deems both a test and transplant critical.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I knew it.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Well then I make a motion that the czar should be the one doing the testing.

Ego

Post by Ego »

It's for your own good.

Oh, I get to say everything in a sloppy Wallace Shawn voice.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

GandK said: I nominate 7wannabe5 for Secretary of the Treasury. She will redefine wealth. Possibly cash as well.
I thank you for that vote of confidence, but I feel that I must first reveal that the last time I held such a position of power, I lost the books. Anyways, put my name on the roster of Hillary haters. I haven't trusted her ever since the incident where she made a wise-crack about not being the sort of woman to stay home baking cookies, and then totally recanted. Also, I was very much in empathy with Monica during the scandal, because the press was so down on her for not looking like Kylie Minogue while fulfilling the role of President's Mistress. I saw Bill Clinton up close at an early rally back when he was first running. Very sexy open Dominant. Barack, OTOH, probably great in bed, but locked Dominant, lucky Michelle. G.W.B., blech, probably never rose above drunk frat boy style. Wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole.