The NSA Was Going to Fine Yahoo $250k/day

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
cmonkey

Re: The NSA Was Going to Fine Yahoo $250k/day

Post by cmonkey »

Ha! Privacy concerns aside, you're probably pretty stupid anyway if you need a computer to help you get dressed.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Looks like click-bait FUD to me.*

I mean.. I don't disagree that everything is trending towards Black Mirror or cyber-punk.. but the circle-jerk (common in my realm of interests online) is tiring.

[*] slightly biased to be pro-Amazon HW as I have a lot of good friends working there.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Could yahoo have called their bluff? That is 91 million per year.

Would they just cook up the accounting books? What about auditors? There is market regulatory authority right? Won't major shareholders get the sniff of it? How much does yahoo pay in taxes anyway to slip it under the rug in tax column?

Kangaroo courts and banana republics aside, how do you blackmail/threaten/take hostage a publicly listed company like this and get away with it?

This is a catch 22 of sorts. If the fine was constitutional why did it have to be secretive.

OR it may be a PR gimmick to save a plummeting yahoo. It's not like NSA is going to release a press release denying the allegations or to clarify the fine would be 250 and not 250k. Part of it may be true but how the half-truths are presented and distributed on news outlets, to gain sympathy and goodwill, portraying yahoo as a victim rather than a co-conspirator.