Global Population Issues

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Chad

Re: Global Population Issues

Post by Chad »

radamfi wrote:There is little or no downside to not having children.
Not entirely true. When you are old and feeble minded you won't have an advocate/crutch to lean on. This is a much bigger downside than most think. I should note, that I do not have kids and don't plan too.

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

Chad wrote:Not entirely true. When you are old and feeble minded you won't have an advocate/crutch to lean on. This is a much bigger downside than most think. I should note, that I do not have kids and don't plan too.
You only get that if your child bothers to visit or even talk to you. It is possible to be friends with people who you aren't related to.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Dragline wrote:You sound like someone who is more interested in being "right" than actually achieving any level of happiness or personal fulfillment and have adopted some kind of rigid philosophy to allow you to preserve your world-view at all costs, even at the expense of your own personal fulfillment.

So be it, but recognize that there are consequences to those choices, two of which are: (1) you will attract like-minded individuals and you will all sit around talking about how miserable everything is, and make yourselves feel more miserable in the process; (2) people who see more to life will decide that it is not worth wasting their time and energy dealing with you or debating your world-view.
Dragline is implying that it's a choice. also, people who are wrong will not want to hang out with radamfi? oh no.

Chad

Post by Chad »

radamfi wrote:
Chad wrote:Not entirely true. When you are old and feeble minded you won't have an advocate/crutch to lean on. This is a much bigger downside than most think. I should note, that I do not have kids and don't plan too.
You only get that if your child bothers to visit or even talk to you. It is possible to be friends with people who you aren't related to.
You are reaching, but I'm not going into it.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

BRUTE wrote:no, it isn't ethical. this is why having children is unethical. life is pain, and creating life inevitably creates more pain.
Not if you renounce desire.

Edit: there, I added the quote to which I was responding. I didn't notice you guys were a page ahead of me already!
Last edited by enigmaT120 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@vezkor - Somehow I think I read that piece some time ago. Note that marginal production prices for all companies are very low compared to potash prices. Previously prices have been supported by a cartel. No longer the case. So we're pretty much waiting either for them to buy up each other, shut down a ton of capacity or farmer's to get rich enough from rising food prices to pour some more fertilizer on their fields.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

jacob wrote: shut down a ton of capacity
Not sure if this is the start or just continuing, but seems I bought at the right time.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

jacob wrote:
Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:24 pm
In Europe and Japan which are some of the most civilized areas in the world (by civilized I mean eusocial in that culture or institutions strongly regulate behavior), the solution is mass unemployment and economic stagnation. I'd put Russia in this category as well, although, also see the US. The solution here is not to be the dumbass left with lots of personal debt and to build strong family ties or other ties when the gov can no longer afford the support. Also, population densities are really really high here, but people are "civilized/informed" enough to deal with epidemics, hopefully.
Well... Now we know. :lol:

EDIT: For the record, I mean now we know that the US isn't "civilized/informed" to deal with the epidemic. (But I guess rereading what I quoted it was saying Europe and Japan were rather civilized/informed rather than the US, so my bad on the misinterpretation. :oops: )
Last edited by mathiverse on Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

white belt

Post by white belt »

I'm guessing the COVID19 pandemic will not cause sufficient death to affect any of the Global Population issues long term? According to the WHO, we are coming up on 1 million reported deaths globally. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the 7.8 billion global population.

However, since the vast majority of COVID deaths seem to be with folks over the age of 40 who have already passed their reproduction window, I wouldn't think it would slow global population growth except perhaps in the very short term.

There are still the unknowns about treatments, vaccination, mutations, etc.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

14 pages of discussion and no mention of Hans Rosling? His argument is population growth stabilizes as a country goes from agricultural to industrial. This is due to mortality falling and it takes atleast one generation for the effect of lowered mortality to be reflected in population growth.
Last edited by fiby41 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

white belt wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 pm
I'm guessing the COVID19 pandemic will not cause sufficient death to affect any of the Global Population issues long term?
One additional person on earth dying every second wouldn't stop population growth.

That would be some 31 million people dying per year. The number of seconds in a year is roughly pi times (ten to the seventh).

So yeah, it's not doing a lot to make the planet less crowded. You're sure as hell not seeing, say, houses getting cheaper.