A Non-political Post

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Well it has to be non-political, or no one will read it. The post is about the upcoming November mid term election. I will attempt to write this post and keep on a single message.

In purely non-political overtones, I sincerely believe one would have to be in a coma to not notice the dire straights the USA is currently in. Assuming you agree, then you may ask "why is this"?

Therefore makes the hard part, as it is difficult to discuss in a non-political, non-moralistic, generic citizen mindset. I am not sure I can do that so I may skip the "reasons" we are headed in the wrong direction. In this post there is no blame on the monikers "Democrat" or "Republican". I don't know too much about the so called "Independents".

I would suggest you read the Constitution of the United States of America in full. I would ask you read the Bill of Rights. Then I would ask if all you see currently in Government is truly following those precious documents. I would ask you if you think the President and Congress are working with fervor to enforce the democratic form of government we have. If you think, yes, well they are indeed, then you can vote accordingly.

If you think our full rights and well being as citizens are their top priority, then vote accordingly. If you think this country is fully following the Founding Father's original intents, then vote accordingly. Your own mind and heart will influence your votes.

Again, this has to be non-political and non-Biblical, and so on or it will go to deaf ears (but I am not so sure about it with the people on this forum). Please read the original documents listed above, carefully laid out by the founders, and bought with much blood and suffering by the citizens of the USA. Can you say in all honesty that "all is well" with this country?

Or if your like me, come November, your vote will be aimed at "Cleaning House" in DC.

The important thing is VOTE. Many good people gave their lives for your right to VOTE.

(From a thing I read today:) "I, a soldier, stood in the snow without shoes to earn for all of us the right to vote".

"You did not go to the poles because the weather was too bad".

Please Vote in November!!!!!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Thanks you, HS. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said. Thank you again, we are all very lucky to have a soldier like you.
I'd like to cut to what I believe to be the heart of the issue, the so called "war on terror." Republicans, and now Democrats, have burned the core of their alleged beliefs in the name of it.
It's got Republicans to do very unRepublican things. Then the Democrats, went down the exact same path... A one party system is a frightening thing.
Please inform everyone you can to follow HS's advice, the Bill of Rights is NEVER to be compromised, pay attention and hold your elected officials to high standards.

dpmorel

Post by dpmorel »

As a former US resident living back in Canada again, let me give you my simple external perspective on US politics. Yawl are f&*$cked!!
Seriously, though, left or right, there is simply nobody to vote for. I look around and I have a hard time constituting what "cleaning house" looks like. Is Ross Perot running again?

Q

Post by Q »

Some day I hope to run...but in the mean time, convincing others to vote is just as good.
I intend to vote for some change here in good ol Cali - change from the status quo, despite my misgivings about what could happen with that.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I'm turning 18 in three weeks, which means I'll be voting age this election cycle, so I was wondering if you guys could lay out some reasons why I should vote?
I feel like both parties are doing the same things. Both parties do some things I disagree with and have some principles I agree with (but they don't seem to act on them). I lean towards the anarchistic side of the spectrum if there is one.
Why should I vote?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The general public (myself included) know nothing about politics. I think it usually turns into a popularity contest for who is more charming for many TV viewers and voters. Most people will not even be aware of the independents or what any of the people stand for besides what is seen in debate on TV.
I voted republican because they were supposed to be small government...that turned out to not be true. Then I didn't vote and we got a democrat and everything seemed to be pretty much the same. (It doesn't make much difference how you vote where I live anyway because it always goes the same way)
I never knew much about independents, but later I learned that Nader was not even allowed to be part of the televised debates. This just proved to me that you have to be an R or D to get corporate support to afford to be heard on TV often enough to win the popularity contest (They physically would not let him in the building!). I don't ever see a presidential win going to a group of independents (unless supported by MANY corporations). They usually just help make the "other" party win.
I think many people have to be completely fed up before they take real interest in politics. Hopefully, the growing angst will lead to some steps in the direction of freedom again but then it might be too late for our $$. I also don't have much faith in the majority, because they want to keep me working to help pay the debt and food stamps. Nobody likes when people have freedoms they don't (even if consumption is self inflicted). Maybe I will get out there again, but I have a hard time choosing between two evils.
To me, it seems either way we are all slowly losing our freedom by more and more laws, taxes, fines, or fees imposed that are supposed to teach us how to live like everyone else through the use of "rules" from the people we vote in. I am told these rules come into being because of "majority" votes. It is like America was established as a baking pan for all recipes and is slowly turning into a cookie cutter for one. Now we have to choose which of the two shapes we would like to choose from...

Chad

Post by Chad »

The problem with the "GO VOTE" mantra is that there is no one to vote for. The Republicans sold their soul to the corporations long ago. Now the Democrats have followed suit. The Tea Partiers are crazy and back the corporations too, though they don't even get paid for it like the Republicans and Democrats do.
There is no left vs. right anymore it is corporate vs. individual now. Unfortunately, I can't find any candidates who support the individual.
Barry Rhitholtz a Wall Street investment advisor wrote this piece "You vs. Corporations." It is short and worth your time.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/09/yo ... porations/

RobBennett

Post by RobBennett »

"There is no left vs. right anymore it is corporate vs. individual now."
I agree with this.
I am cautiously optimistic that things may improve. It is when people are feeling pain that they feel motivated to seek change. More people are feeling pain today. So we may be in the process of working up the courage needed to make some changes.
I am a Sarah Palin supporter. She is not only my favorite politician alive today but my favorite of my entire lifetime. I am not even a tiny bit seeking to get a discussion started on the merits or lack thereof of Palin. My purpose in saying this is just to let people know where I am coming from.
Rob

Chad

Post by Chad »

And, I will vote corporate before I vote Palin.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Excellent article, Chad, thank you... It couldn't be more obvious left vs right is dead, but with the help of corporate media all arguments are framed in this context.
Not to start an argument, but I see Palin as the death knell of the Republican party. I trust nothing she says because I think virtually none of it actually comes from her. I think shes a good parrot, an actor... Pretty much just a fresh brand name, ready to be run into the ground by broken promises as soon as in office (see brand Obama).
The Republican party is civil war, confusion and disinfo everywhere. If real Republicans, not corporate neocons, can gain some seats, the assault on personal liberty will hopefully slow down.

OurLifeInc.

Post by OurLifeInc. »

While I agree that there is no one to vote for, my personal opinion is that a message can be sent to Washington and all other politicians if Americans vote OUT the incumbents. Send the message that we will not tolerate current policies and if you aren't moving this country in the right direction, then we will vote you out of office. That is my plan of attack this election cycle...the incumbents have to go.

Chad

Post by Chad »

The problem with defaulting to a strategy of voting agianst incumbents even if you don't like any of the candidates is that you have a good chance of voting in someone worse. You could get someone like Christine O'Donnell who by all accounts is not overly bright (thinks belief trumps facts in creationism vs. evolution) and lied about attending Oxford University, Princeton University, and where and when she attained her undergrad degree.

B

Post by B »

A "No confidence" vote should be available for all elected offices. I believe that would up the numbers at the polls.
"And the next president of the United States is... NOBODY!"

Chad

Post by Chad »

I like the "no confidence" idea. It would then kickstart a new election to be held in 4 months or so. This would damage both parties, as they would have essentially wasted the cash they spent for the election.

photoguy

Post by photoguy »

"Send the message that we will not tolerate current policies and if you aren't moving this country in the right direction, then we will vote you out of office"
I'm actually quite positive about the recent direction of U.S. government. I think TARP (Bush) was a great success and highly beneficial to the average american (even if they don't feel that way) and I see PPACA (Obama) as one of the most significant pieces of legislation (both personally and for the country) that will have a large positive affect.
Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist???

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

A few states have "None of the above" clauses. But they're not very effective.
If we could get a legally binding "none of the above" it would be a great way to get rid of horrible politicians.

RobBennett

Post by RobBennett »

"You could get someone like Christine O'Donnell who by all accounts is not overly bright (thinks belief trumps facts in creationism vs. evolution) and lied about attending Oxford University, Princeton University, and where and when she attained her undergrad degree."
That's not "by all accounts," Chad. It certainly is so by SOME accounts. There are other accounts that go the other way. If there were zero people who believed otherwise, she wouldn't have won the primary.
The sort of thing you are pointing to here is standard political attack stuff. The only way one can know whether there is something to it is to spend a lot of time researching every fact (and that doesn't mean just looking at conventional media accounts). Who the heck has the time to do that for every candidate?
How many articles do you see comparing how Christine O'Donnell would vote vs. how the person she is running against would vote? Shouldn't there be a tiny bit of space in the newspapers for that? There never is. I cannot help wondering why.
I've come to believe that part of it is that there are people with money who benefit if we don't know where the candidates stand on the issues. I don't mean that just re O'Donnell. I think it is so in a general sense re just about everyone who runs.
And, in fairness, it has to be said that to some extent that is our fault. We don't demand better. My optimistic side tells me that perhaps this economic change will shake things up a bit. Perhaps we will start demanding and getting a bit better and perhaps that will turn things around.
You have to have hope for the future to be able to get up in the morning, no?
Rob

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

" If there were zero people who believed otherwise, she wouldn't have won the primary"
Are you sure about that?

Chad

Post by Chad »

I agree with your comments stating that the information on O'Donnell is standard political attack info. However, it is true, as every university/college this info is associated with has backed up these claims.
I almost didn't use it because it was standard political attack info, but I haven't paid close attention to the race and didn't want to do the research (not like I can vote in Delaware)...so I used it.
If you don't have the time to do the research on a candidate then you shouldn't vote. I do the research on everyone I vote for.
Agreed it is too some extent our fault. Actually, I would lay most of the fault at our feet. They are just playing within the rules we have allowed.
I don't have much hope Rob...if any.

RobBennett

Post by RobBennett »

"However, it is true, as every university/college this info is associated with has backed up these claims."
I've had "respected" sources "back up" claims that were made about me that I knew for a fact to be distortions. There's usually a grain of truth to these claims. There's also usually another side to the story. Distortion is common in these sorts of matters.
And the distortions couldn't gain any credibility if respected institutions like colleges didn't "back them up." There's always someone backing these things up. Sometimes the people backing things up have agendas too.
This stuff can get confusing and complicated!
"I don't have much hope Rob...if any."
It's entirely possible that you are right and that I am wrong, Chad. The only thing I would say from the other side is that there have been other times in history when things looked dark -- the Great Depression, the Civil War. Sometimes it really is true that it is darkest before the dawn. I think that it might be that there is something about it getting dark that causes people to take actions that they were reluctant to take when it didn't seem 100 percent necessary. So I have some hope.
But I agree that there are bad things going on today. I agree that it is more than a little difficult to figure out how we are going to dig our way out of this one. The system very much appears to have broken down and people from all sides of the political spectrum are seeing that.
Rob