ERE & The Trophic Pyramid

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Q

Post by Q »

Disclaimer - this topic is well past my own personal knowledge other than the few bugs I have eaten, and my love for seafood of all types...but read on.
http://www.metroactive.com/features/edible-insects.html
I've eaten @ Mezcal and their crickets and they are tasty, albeit indeed nutty.
As an aside in the articles they have snails listed as a good source of food too - the article says they feed them oats to "cleanse" them, then make them fast for a day and they are ready.
I think bugs, if hidden or mixed, can be used quite well to adapt to their particular flavor.
Thankfully the above article does not get into "meat eaters are bad" argument, and I will leave it at that.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The *new* soylent green :) Indeed, the trophic pyramid is getting top heavy with all the humans. Going lower on the food chain will allow us to have more children for a while. I guess the question is, when do we cut back on having children as if they're unlikely to survive until adulthood/needed to work on the farm.
Humans eat their own weight in food on an annual basis, approximately. Given the total biomass of cattle and it takes about a year to replace it, the "cattle level" is strained.
Alternative solutions included cutting back on human life expectancy, one way or another; diseases, starvation, and other horsemen.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

It's a pity that slugs aren't on the edible list... guess we just have to eat something that eats slugs.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I think people should have to acquire a permit before having children (provides for self financially, check!; has been with partner for over two years, check!; has not been in a mental institution, check!). Anyone parenting more than one illegitimate child from the above standard must be fixed!:)
Hee, Hee...I am sure this won't be popular!