Households need to spend more, says Bernanke

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

He really sounds defensive and out of touch.
Especially when he says things like: “After a long period of low inflation most people are pretty comfortable that inflation will stay reasonably low,” Bernanke said. “And that helps a lot” since “with inflation staying low the Fed has more leeway.”
Meanwhile, just about everyone I run into talks about higher gas and food prices like one would usually talk about the weather. Regardless of what numbers he may be referencing, the public perception is much different. Although I would suppose the "most people" he is referring to are other economists and people he works with.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

This reminds me of Dubya's response to 9/11. Everyone go shopping, or the terrorists win! And yeah, LOL at low inflation. The same period of "low inflation" that saw gold prices double... yeah, the dollar is holding its value nicely...

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Inflation has stayed low predominately due to the cost of housing offsetting the cost of energy. And low natural gas prices have helped, too.
However, my "energy price alert" is on high now that the price of milk is less than the price of a gallon of gas.