the libertarian-anarchist line

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
ScottfromMenominee

Post by ScottfromMenominee »

@Jacob "European liberals = US libertarians"
I would mostly agree with that, except European liberal and center parties accept a social safety net which is even more extensive than the American version. Perhaps it's political expediency. The fundamental origins and philosophies e.g., classical liberalism, are the same. I've always had a soft spot for European liberals, it's in my genes.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I lost both mom and dad to their cigarette smoking. Probably several others in my family as well. We know smoking is extremely harmful to your health. I would imagine everyone reading this would agree fully.
That said, we need to look back in history to see where tobacco use came from, and why it has remained with us so long. I cannot find a time in usable history where people have not used tobacco.

Most people of this generation simply inherited it. Most parents of the mid century generation today were in some way smokers. You must remember there was a time it was extremely fashionable. At that time, few doctors were campaigning against it like they have in the last 20 or so years. Today, "Smoking will kill you". 25 years ago nothing was said. Then came the big tobacco lawsuits, and the campaigns went forward with vigor. When I see an older person smoking, I have a hard time saying they are stupid and do not know better. I know they came from "that time" when it was all the vogue.

I was in the age group of enlightened smokers who simply just "quit". When I was in the military in the 70's, a cigarette or cigar, and mug of coffee was part of the uniform. Set up the tents, put out the guards, brew some coffee and light up!!!!

During my younger days, I did smoke cigarettes and cigars. However, when my daughter was born in 1971, I no longer would ever smoke in the house, the car, or any enclosed place where there were non-smokers. I was the guy who stepped outside at restaurants to smoke even in 1970. I could not stand the smell of tobacco smoke in a closed area, and especially in a place to eat. I got in tune and stopped altogether in about 1980. I did a restart in 1990 (Desert Storm) and another full stop in 1991 after returning home. I have never restarted.

I am for the following:
No smoking inside any building or area where others are. I suggest a fine for this. People are otherwise not limited to what they do in smoking. People owning property should have the right to ban smoking on that property. I do not think we will ever have a smoke free world.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Marius - I guess what I was trying to say is I lean most towards the Libertarian platform, rather than the 2 other major parties. Like you, I have some differing views but overall I think it makes sense.

jeffb161

Post by jeffb161 »

Libertarians are close to the classic liberals from the nineteenth century. Liberals of today have their genesis from the progressive movement in the early twentieth century. Woodrow Wilson comes to mind along with our current president Obama. The former want a decentralized government that concentrates on individual rights, and the later a centralized government that does what is best for the collective. If you are interested in this topic The Road to Serfdom by FA Hayek is a great source of info.