Nuking our own planet

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Marius

Post by Marius »

I had no idea. We're kind of crazy as a species, no?
http://gizmodo.com/5600704/the-explosio ... mb-to-date

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

What amazes me on Nuclear Weapons is the fact we haven't already used a bunch. These have been considered in every war/conflict since their initial use in WWII. There was a plan on them during the Korean thing, and they have been kept as an option ever since.

All I can say is that cool heads must have always prevailed.

The end of cool heads may be in sight in the next "deal". Now we have smaller nukes, the so-called "tactical" ones. Like taking out some specific stuff, not wholesale destruction of a whole city or region. The tests video from Marius, above is very interesting. These are probably the known detonations. How many others in black budget scenarios have been used? Maybe to create the underground military bases, etc.

OH OH--I forgot my tin foil hat so I will have to close here.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The time line suggested a lot of grandstanding. "See how much we can bomb our own country" ... one year later ... "Oh yeah?! See how much we can bomb OUR own country". It's tragicomical.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Jacob, that's the same thing I thought!

Sven

Post by Sven »

Yeah.. humans are kinda crazy people if you see that movie.. I knew there were quite some nuclear tests.. but honestly I couldn't imagine it were that many! :-( Quite sad, that we make a race of using mass destruction/murder weapons!

Maus

Post by Maus »

I am going to date myself, but in the stupidity of my youth I gave an 8th grade presentation advocating that the U.S. nuke the Panama Canal rather than relinquish it to Panama. Goldwaterites would have been proud of me that day, but it is only one of the many follies for which I have to atone.

Marius

Post by Marius »

@Maus "I am going to date myself"
See what happens when there's no ERE dating section? ;-)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

If you think that is amazing watch "Trinity and Beyond: The atomic bomb movie". It covers much of this testing with actual video footage. Truly amazing and crazy stuff...and we wonder why so many people die of cancer today.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

"White light, Black Rain" is another eye opener. Hiroshima survivers.