Who'd a thunk it? Obamacare not repealed

Should you squeeze the toothpaste tube in the middle or from the end?
black_son_of_gray
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:39 pm

Re: Who'd a thunk it? Obamacare not repealed

Post by black_son_of_gray » Wed May 17, 2017 10:40 pm

@7w5: I see your point - no exercise can prepare you for everything. I must say, though, about the springy mattress - when I was doing lots of squats, my backside got to the point where buying pants that fit was a nontrivial problem. About as good fall protection as I think I'll ever have.

It's not always the exercise itself that directly matters- often the myriad fringe benefits end up being more useful in unexpected situations. E.g. having a generous "cushioning", being limber, developing quicker or more accurate reflexes, balance. Basically, if you expand your operating range through training, the more likely any given curve-ball life throws at you will stay within that range. For most people, that will mean focusing on the things you are worse at rather than developing any given physical trait to excellence.

halfmoon
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Re: Who'd a thunk it? Obamacare not repealed

Post by halfmoon » Wed May 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Riggerjack wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 8:16 pm
I am 7.5 years older than my wife. Actuarial tables make it very clear that odds of me out living her are very slim. When those late life decisions need to be made, those years left in her life will be a much higher priority than any additional months in mine.
Ah, Riggerjack...you remind me of my DH (21 years older than I). I know your motives are extremely unselfish, though it's not so clear-cut. I'm projecting here, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're the center of your wife's life. Switch places for a moment, because it's clear that you love her deeply. If her long-term existence is threatened in the (overwhelmingly common) absence of certain imminent death, I'm pretty sure you'll do and pay what it takes to keep her alive. She would undoubtedly do the same for you. That's how it will go regardless of avowed intention, unless of course one of you is terminal and in pain.

It's not easy to let go, and it's often not a dramatic one-time choice. More of a slow attrition.

IlliniDave
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Who'd a thunk it? Obamacare not repealed

Post by IlliniDave » Thu May 18, 2017 3:13 am

BRUTE wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 pm


the main benefit of the olympic lifts (c&j, snatch) over the slower powerlifting moves (squatz, deadz) isn't in strength per se, but in power and explosiveness. brute also finds the c&j the most functional of all the moves he's ever performed in a gym - it allows him to lift regular day to day items to hip and overhead level easily, with safe technique.
I would add flexibility, coordination, and balance. Not sure those movements are great for the elderly per se, but probably good for midlifers who want to preserve physical ability longer and prevent injury from falls and the like in out years.

Clean/jerk is also the perfect movement to practice for lifting a double-wide garage door after one of the counterbalance springs breaks. I amazed my neighbor!

7Wannabe5
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Who'd a thunk it? Obamacare not repealed

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:18 am

Well, my limiting factor on performing clean&jerk at the moment, is 3rd world, not 1st world health problem. I keep picking up healthy kid bugs from my grubby little recently immigrated students. I am currently suffering from acute bronchitis and viral pink eye. I may have to choose to bring the "join the Peace Corps" phase of my-do-my-20s-in-my-40s/50s lifestyle plan to an end sooner than anticipated.
black_son_of_gray wrote:For most people, that will mean focusing on the things you are worse at rather than developing any given physical trait to excellence.
True. What I am worst at in the moment is dealing with chagrin after recent viewing of video of myself riding away upon a bicycle and the tiresomeness of endlessly coughing up green sputum. However, I cheered myself up by teaching myself how to butt-clap, so now if I so choose, I can make myself totally ridiculous and offensive at wedding receptions when I am 80. I hate getting old.

IlliniDave
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Who'd a thunk it? Obamacare not repealed

Post by IlliniDave » Thu May 18, 2017 7:00 am

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 pm
@IlliniDave: Maybe I haven't done them right when attempted, but the arm part is much more difficult for me. I have never broken a bone, so I'm not super worried about bone density yet either. However, I do intend to continue to eat as much full fat yogurt and sweet potatoes as I desire. I spent almost nothing on either health insurance or health care in the last year, so I really shouldn't complain. However, everybody I know is appalled that I didn't seek treatment for my facial paralysis, so I am obviously an outlier of some sort.
Yes, likely your form was an issue. For me leaning the movements was a process that took months before I attempted weights that would be a challenge because of their heaviness.

You can do all the movements with dumb bells too--smaller weights but stabilizing is more of a challenge as weight creeps up.

The arms/shoulders do exert some effort in Oly lifts, after all you holding something up off the ground. It's hard to dynamically load your lower power chain above what the top half of your body weighs without effort from your arms/shoulders/upper back, unless you want to buy machines or join a fitness place. Best bet is maybe back squats, but I don't know how helpful they would be as a preventative for octogenarian falling issues. Certainly better than doing nothing, but they are not total body movements the way the Oly stuff is.

User avatar
BRUTE
Posts: 2091
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Who'd a thunk it? Obamacare not repealed

Post by BRUTE » Thu May 18, 2017 11:41 am

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:18 am
Well, my limiting factor on performing clean&jerk at the moment, is [...] acute bronchitis and viral pink eye.
that seems very non-specific to c&j and would prevent a human from probably most exercise or other physical activity.

7Wannabe5
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Who'd a thunk it? Obamacare not repealed

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:28 pm

IlliniDave said:You can do all the movements with dumb bells too--smaller weights but stabilizing is more of a challenge as weight creeps up.
Yeah, I think that is where it went wrong for me. I was using dumb bells that could adjust to 30 lbs each, and 60 lbs. over my head was really unstable, but 60 lbs. added to body weight on squat is pretty easy for me. Something like that.

@BRUTE: I rode my bike and planted 11 bare root trees and shrubs while I was continuously coughing, but it wasn't fun.

To wrap back around to the original topic of this thread, I think I was trying to make a point about the difference between acute illness, chronic disease, and fitness. We often use the word "health" rather haphazardly to refer to any of these, and other states of being. Most of us don't think that running every day is likely to prevent us from catching pink eye if we neglect to wash our hands, but ...

Anyways, I have a bronze Obamacare plan for which I pay $0/month. When half my face suddenly became paralyzed, I looked on the internet and determined it was likely Bell's Palsy, so I didn't seek medical care. My friend whose stock market accounts topped 65 million for the first time a couple weeks ago, tried to make me go to the doctor and he would pay for it, but I wouldn't go. So, I am (once again!) agreeing with Riggerjack. The only reason why people make medical professionals the exception to the rule of self-sufficiency or free choice is that they are not willing to face their own mortality.

Post Reply