Trump - Clown Genius

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Dragline

Re: Trump - Clown Genius

Post by Dragline »

BRUTE wrote:the word "conservative" seems pretty meaningless to brute. in its root form, he'd expect humans to mean that they want to conserve the status quo on certain things, or things in general.

this seems not what humans actually mean. the word also means something different in every country. sometimes it's connected to religion. sometimes to certain economical ideas. sometimes to xenophobia, other times not.
This is often the fate of words that have acquired a positive connotation in particular segment of a population. Yes, everyone gets their own definition because everyone wants to claim the mantle. Then they get to have litmus test wars as to who is the "real" one or "more" than the other. Eventually, the term loses any particular meaning.

The only consistent meaning it seems to have in contemporary US politics is "opposed to [X]", leaving off the particular reasons why. This is a symptom of fragmentation.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote: I'm not a brainwashed idiot, I'm a pissed off one.
Grand scheme of things..... what exactly are you pissed off about? And are you so pissed off that you are willing to participate in driving the bus off the cliff?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Dragline wrote:
BRUTE wrote:the word "conservative" seems pretty meaningless to brute. in its root form, he'd expect humans to mean that they want to conserve the status quo on certain things, or things in general.

this seems not what humans actually mean. the word also means something different in every country. sometimes it's connected to religion. sometimes to certain economical ideas. sometimes to xenophobia, other times not.
This is often the fate of words that have acquired a positive connotation in particular segment of a population. Yes, everyone gets their own definition because everyone wants to claim the mantle. Then they get to have litmus test wars as to who is the "real" one or "more" than the other. Eventually, the term loses any particular meaning.

The only consistent meaning it seems to have in contemporary US politics is "opposed to [X]", leaving off the particular reasons why. This is a symptom of fragmentation.
brute thinks Dragline hit it spot on. the same could be said for "democrat", "republican", "progressive" (what are they, not opposed to backwards time travel??)..

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Well, if the main take-away from my discussion of the 2nd amendment above is that I'm anti-gun(*) :roll:, I can only conclude [from this final/concluding straw in my combined interaction in these Trump/Clinton threads] that what mostly matters in this election is not about the politics or the content of what's being said but all about whether whoever is saying it belongs to or is superficially perceived to belong to one's own party or that other party.

Yeah, I finally grok I am out of touch with the American Main Street voter. However, when iDave says that engineers and PhDs in his area happily vote Trump, I realize that I'm also out of touch with the average Rocket City voter. (And I used to live in the California version of Rocket City. Strangely most of those PhDs and engineers were Democrats :? ) I have obviously failed to grasp/refused to acknowledge that party-loyalty reigns supreme as the paramount value with the American voter exceeding all other considerations, such as for example, proposed politics, political qualifications, and personal character. During this election, I've seen people (including on these forums) fervently oppose Trump... until he was chosen as the candidate at which point they were suddenly all behind him. Now that's party loyalty if I ever saw it.

Like, really, I'm quite unfamiliar with that kind of party-loyalty living in my intellectual cosmopolitan elitist bubble and all.

So, yeah, I finally grok, that if party loyalty is the most important value, I'm pretty much wasting my time talking about any kind of analysis of the consequences of whatever politics. Because it doesn't really matter. People are just going to vote their party affiliation no matter who their candidate is or what they stand for. From an international perspective, that's rather highly unusual so that's maybe why it took so long for me to get it.

So ... I think I will, from now on, understand US presidential elections and very many American voters as engaging in something akin to the Cola Wars. Most people, aside from a few Cola wonks, can't really taste the difference between Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola in a blind test but as soon as the drink gets poured from a brand name bottle, they will definitely insist that they can and that their favourite brand tastes much better than OTHER brand.

Furthermore, cola brand loyalty goes so deep that even if one finds ones particular brand suddenly containing bottled sewage water, most people will still insist that such sewage tastes better than cola insofar the cola came from the other bottle. This is regardless of whether we add raw sewage to the Pepsi Cola bottle or the Coca Cola bottle. People will still drink crap while trying to keep a straight face because it's THEIR brand.

(Indeed, I bet most people will think I'm now attacking THEIR brand and not both brands and proceed to claim that I'm somehow biased or belong to the other bottle company.)

People will go to extreme ends to argue that whatever they taste represents the true brand. For example, if/when Coca Cola came up with a new recipe, New Coke, people will insist that New Coke is the one true Coca Cola, that New Coke has always been the one true Coca Cola regardless of what the original recipe was and regardless of whether others still remember Coke Classic. Regardless of whether Coke Classic is still being sold.

(Indeed, I bet most people will now say that that's not at all what's going on.---That the rest of the world are simply wrong about Cola because Coke Classic despite the taste being sold in the US not so many years ago and still being sold all over the world does not represent True American Coca Cola)

At the dumb end, I've talked to them, people repeat a few slogans---something they saw on a meme on facebook. At the smart end, I've talked to them too, you get debate with cherry picked facts and arguments. If you haven't met both of of these, you need to get out more. In any case nobody wants to step out of their bottled-up think-scapes.

Apparently it doesn't matter that any candidate is an asshole. What matters is whether that candidate is OUR asshole. This goes for both sides. I'm not just saying that as some kind of elitist theorizing from my personal ivory towers. I make a point, thanks ERE, to talk to everybody going wide. These sentiments are everywhere. I wish more people could somehow rise above it and put themselves in the position of OTHER. Speaking of guns, I bet this failure---to actually admit just ONCE that maybe the other side is more correct on just one single point, which shouldn't be statistically unlikely---is what propagates most strife. Like Chicago gang wars: "We do it, because they do it." Yeah, I can program that in BASIC. Goes like this...

10 PRINT "I'M AN IDIOT."
20 PRINT "YOU'RE AN IDIOT"
30 GOTO 10

Sorry, people, but ... I don't know ... whatever ... I give up. I never should have engaged in these threads. Everybody knows that gotos are bad practice :-P

I often wish that I could watch this election in a parallel universe where Trump had run for the democrats and Clinton would have run for the Republicans. Would Republican voters still make the same excuses for Clinton if she had done/said exactly what Trump did/said? Conversely, would Democrats still accept Clinton if we moved her one iota to the right and let her run for the Republicans having done what she's done/said? Like what if Trump had his own private email server and Clinton was playing footsie with Putin?

I would want to watch both the reactions from American voters (complete attitude flip-flop, I bet) and the rest of the world (more or less the same, I bet).

So I guess I'm done trying to explain US politics in any detailed manner that's contingent on specific politics.

I think these simple rules explain far more about what's going on that any kind of political evolution:

Let X be the voter's political affiliation (to a first order equal to whatever they voted the last time) and let Y be the convenient political affiliation of a given candidate. For simplicity, restrict the range of X and Y to the set of {D,R}. Then the following three rules are practically all that's needed
1) If X=Y, I'll make up any excuses for my candidate regardless of how outrageous/unrealistic/uncouth they may be. Because they're my candidate.
2) If X!=Y, I'll attack the other candidate even if their propositions make more sense or they demonstrate more skill, etc. Because they're not my candidate.
3) Most voters are severely sticky on the X variable.

Now, I'm not saying that extreme party-loyalty for the sake of loyalty is bad in and of itself. Personally re-evaluating loyalty over intellectualism is some personal growth I've yet to do (See Haidt). After all, the US system hasn't managed to produce a dictator yet since 1776 whereas both Europe, Russia, and China has, so in going with Taleb in the spirit of his opinion on coffee and wine-drinking: If something has been around for that long, it's probably not that bad. On the other hand, it does seem that the US loyalty system is capable of pushing through very extreme positions simply because voters will allow anything as long as it passes party-color. In Ego's words, either party's voters are entirely willing to drive the bus off the cliff to avoid switching sides. (And maybe now we have two busses heading towards the cliff ... but hey ... whatever, I'm on a bus!)

So yeah, I think I get US politics now. It's way less complicated than I thought it was.

(*) Come on guys, please re-read what I wrote, eh? At no point did I suggest taking away people's precious guns. I mean, holy shit, I like guns and I already got my own "tree guns" picked out: Ruger Blackhawk in .357, Mossberg 500 (despite the fact that FIL bestowed his Remington mo. 31 on me. I just don't like the loading port and having to get 2.5" shells) or alternatively, an H&R Topper so I can shoot .357 out of it with an adapter, and ... okay, not decided on the rifle because IL hunting is shotgun only (imagine a three day season with rifle bullets flying all over and it kinda makes sense?!) but otherwise a Remington 700 or something from CZ. Only reason I haven't bought any is that it's 1hr+ to the nearest shooting range that isn't a^Hthe sketchy hand-gun only basement in the neighbourhood and that Chicago makes you pay out the nose for annual certs, etc. So too much hassle. I wish they'd change it. I like guns AND I'm smart enough to realize that if I don't shoot myself or my family NOR get shot by ditto NOR get into with black gang activity on the Chicago south and west sides AND showing my hands whenever I get accosted by the police for walking on the sidewalk (obviously a suspicious ERE behaviour; it has happened twice already in ten+ years! Fortunately, I'm white or one of those incidences could have gone bad ... it was freezing and I put my hands in my pockets. That didn't go over well!) I'm as likely to get shot by an American as I am by a friendly Canadian. So there!

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

jacob wrote:I can only conclude that what mostly matters in this election is not about the politics or the content of what's being said but all about whether whoever is saying it belongs to or is superficially perceived to belong to one's own party or that other party.
so cute :D

GandK

Post by GandK »

BRUTE wrote:
jacob wrote:I can only conclude that what mostly matters in this election is not about the politics or the content of what's being said but all about whether whoever is saying it belongs to or is superficially perceived to belong to one's own party or that other party.
so cute :D
:lol:

Yes. You've got it. Us vs Them. You have successfully reduced the entire American political landscape to Ingress/Pokémon Go.

Oh, wait...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ego wrote: And are you so pissed off that you are willing to participate in driving the bus off the cliff?
jacob wrote: I have obviously failed to grasp/refused to acknowledge that party-loyalty reigns supreme as the paramount value with the American voter exceeding all other considerations, such as for example, proposed politics, political qualifications, and personal character. During this election, I've seen people (including on these forums) fervently oppose Trump... until he was chosen as the candidate at which point they were suddenly all behind him. Now that's party loyalty if I ever saw it.
jacob wrote:what mostly matters in this election is not about the politics or the content of what's being said but all about whether whoever is saying it belongs to or is superficially perceived to belong to one's own party or that other party.
jacob wrote:Apparently it doesn't matter that any candidate is an asshole. What matters is whether the candidate is OUR asshole.
You guys still don't understand, assuming we're talking about people here.

First, as happens frequently during the primary season, people's favorite candidates drop out, and people look for a new candidate to support. During this cycle on the Republican side, the moderate candidates were the first to go, so as people looked for new candidates, many moved further right. That doesn't mean their views changed, only that the candidate to the right was still closer to their own views than the candidates to the left. That doesn't strike me as unusual?

Second, you're assuming that people don't like Trump as much as Clinton, but they are still voting for Trump because he's a Republican. No!! The great blind spot on the left is the presumption that everyone believes Clinton is better qualified or would do a better job, but support Trump for other reasons (party loyalty, some -ism). Why is it so hard to believe that there are people out there with big brains who actually believe that Clinton would make a terrible president so have chosen to support Trump? That doesn't mean they think Trump will be a great president, only that they are more certain that Clinton will be a bad one. For me, I don't like Trump, but I don't like Clinton more ... so I'm voting for Trump.

That also answers Ego's question about driving the bus off the cliff. I'm not sure if Trump will be a warmonger, but I'm pretty certain that Clinton will. I find her foreign policy and her support for certain countries dangerous. It could be that Trump will drive the bus off the cliff just like Clinton would, in which case we're damned if we do and damned if we don't this election.

Ego wrote:Grand scheme of things..... what exactly are you pissed off about?
^^This kind of stuff. Trump wasn't my guy, but my guy is out of the race. I'm down to Clinton and Trump and I'm not abstaining, so I prefer Trump. Unfortunately, depending on who you ask, that makes me either stupid, racist, sexist, stupid, a party loyalist, irrational, or stupid.

Now why would that piss me off? :P

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

jacob, you are very close to hitting the nail on the head. My take, in this election especially, it is more about who/what you are against than what you are for, and people tend to gravitate to the party/candidate who is against the largest number of items and people that the voter is against.

And I'll give a +1 to what jennypenny said just above. Clinton is just plain repugnant to a lot of people. More than half the country thinks she should be indicted for mishandling classified information and destroying evidence; and a larger majority think she is simply dishonest/untrustworthy. I don't know if what her operatives in the DNC did to Sanders is even reflected in the poll numbers yet. But there's a huge blind spot out there in the mainstream news machines and media when it comes to all that. They just keep pumping out the "nothing to see here, please keep moving" ejecta.

What we have is a long track record of Clinton's actions/behavior vs. some tortured interpretations of Trump's campaign rhetoric. Trump is seen as the lesser of two evils by some who aren't Neanderthals. I'll probably throw a bone to Johnson in this election since I'm in a hard red state making my vote meaningless in the big picture leaving me free to make a statement. But if I was in a swing state I'd have a hard time not holding my nose and voting for Trump. And I also agree with jp that HRC's the more likely to get us into WWIII, and to play the despot.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I guess part of my objection to the party loyalist idea is that, as a republican, if I were being loyal to the party I would have supported #NeverTrump. A vote for Trump is a vote to blow up the republican party.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Like I said earlier, when it's down to Clinton and Trump, who's gonna bother voting for Clinton? Trump is probably gonna be elected.

Many of the non-party-loyalists that voted for Obama eight years ago, are probably gonna vote for Trump this time around.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I find both of them repugnant.

I find her more so.

And had Bernie won the Democratic nomination, I would have held my little conservative nose and voted for him even though we disagree about a lot. Because he isn't repugnant.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Ha GandK, that was my position too! At one pointI decided I didn't like any of their politics enough to separate one, so I asked myself: of the big 4 (Trump, Cruz, Clinton, and Sanders), who would I want to live in the cabin next to me up in the woods? Bernie in a landslide.

That's why I'm a little extra miffed about the foul play at the DNC that came to light earlier this week.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote:I find her foreign policy and her support for certain countries dangerous.
+1
jennypenny wrote: ^^This kind of stuff. Trump wasn't my guy, but my guy is out of the race. I'm down to Clinton and Trump and I'm not abstaining, so I prefer Trump. Unfortunately, depending on who you ask, that makes me either stupid, racist, sexist, stupid, a party loyalist, irrational, or stupid.
There are people who are pro-Trump just like there are many who are pro-Clinton. Neither of us are pro-anyone.

The pro-Trump people are, in general, the kind of people who are taking glee in the fact that they believe Trump will drive the bus off the cliff. The pro-Clinton people have unpalatable characteristics too, but they pale in comparison to Trumper schadenfreude and the spectacular self-schadenfreude of his most fervent supporters. Those people are elbowing their way to the front of the bus.

So, despite the fact that I really dislike many of her policies and I really dislike her (except for that 1969 commencement address :lol: ) I will vote for the coherent one I dislike over the candidate of schadenfreude.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

jennypenny wrote:
Ego wrote: And are you so pissed off that you are willing to participate in driving the bus off the cliff?
jacob wrote: I have obviously failed to grasp/refused to acknowledge that party-loyalty reigns supreme as the paramount value with the American voter exceeding all other considerations, such as for example, proposed politics, political qualifications, and personal character. During this election, I've seen people (including on these forums) fervently oppose Trump... until he was chosen as the candidate at which point they were suddenly all behind him. Now that's party loyalty if I ever saw it.
jacob wrote:what mostly matters in this election is not about the politics or the content of what's being said but all about whether whoever is saying it belongs to or is superficially perceived to belong to one's own party or that other party.
jacob wrote:Apparently it doesn't matter that any candidate is an asshole. What matters is whether the candidate is OUR asshole.
You guys still don't understand, assuming we're talking about people here.

First, as happens frequently during the primary season, people's favorite candidates drop out, and people look for a new candidate to support. During this cycle on the Republican side, the moderate candidates were the first to go, so as people looked for new candidates, many moved further right. That doesn't mean their views changed, only that the candidate to the right was still closer to their own views than the candidates to the left. That doesn't strike me as unusual?

Second, you're assuming that people don't like Trump as much as Clinton, but they are still voting for Trump because he's a Republican. No!! The great blind spot on the left is the presumption that everyone believes Clinton is better qualified or would do a better job, but support Trump for other reasons (party loyalty, some -ism). Why is it so hard to believe that there are people out there with big brains who actually believe that Clinton would make a terrible president so have chosen to support Trump? That doesn't mean they think Trump will be a great president, only that they are more certain that Clinton will be a bad one. For me, I don't like Trump, but I don't like Clinton more ... so I'm voting for Trump.

That also answers Ego's question about driving the bus off the cliff. I'm not sure if Trump will be a warmonger, but I'm pretty certain that Clinton will. I find her foreign policy and her support for certain countries dangerous. It could be that Trump will drive the bus off the cliff just like Clinton would, in which case we're damned if we do and damned if we don't this election.

^^This kind of stuff. Trump wasn't my guy, but my guy is out of the race. I'm down to Clinton and Trump and I'm not abstaining, so I prefer Trump. Unfortunately, depending on who you ask, that makes me either stupid, racist, sexist, stupid, a party loyalist, irrational, or stupid.

Now why would that piss me off? :P
I'm with Her.....JennyPenny, that is.... :)

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

GandK wrote:I find both of them repugnant.

I find her more so.

And had Bernie won the Democratic nomination, I would have held my little conservative nose and voted for him even though we disagree about a lot. Because he isn't repugnant.
That's the thing about Bernie, I think he's one of the most genuine, honorable politicians to ever run for President. I lean right on most issues, but I would have seriously considered voting for him just because he stands against the system in so many ways. I will vote for Trump because I hate Hillary, Black Lies Matter, and the Democrat party more than Trump and the Repugnicans.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ego wrote: There are people who are pro-Trump just like there are many who are pro-Clinton. Neither of us are pro-anyone.

The pro-Trump people are, in general, the kind of people who are taking glee in the fact that they believe Trump will drive the bus off the cliff.
I guess it also depends on how you're defining the cliff. I agree that there are many pro-Trump supporters who are voting for him to drive the Republican party/political system/establishment political class off the cliff. I can see the appeal. ;)

I would define it as getting us deeper into war (enough to put the men in my family at risk). Unfortunately, it's easy to envision both candidates doing that. It's partly why I favor the isolationist this time around.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Ego wrote:The pro-Trump people are, in general, the kind of people who are taking glee in the fact that they believe Trump will drive the bus off the cliff.
Citation needed :P

It seems that when people try to imagine up a group of "pro-Trumpers" they first need to imagine a group of rednecks, racists, idiots, nihilists, etc. That just tells me the media has done a pretty good job of painting Trump in a negative light, and misconstruing much of what he has said.

Who here still thinks Trump is racist because of the mexican wall comment? As for that other racist being pro-trump, and the fact that Trump was ambiguous on his response - that's probably because he's trying to maximize his damned votes.

Ego

Post by Ego »

JamesR wrote:
Ego wrote:The pro-Trump people are, in general, the kind of people who are taking glee in the fact that they believe Trump will drive the bus off the cliff.
Citation needed :P
Would you accept the word of 121 GOP national security experts?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... rty-214114
“I don’t know any prominent national security person who’s signed up with Trump since he started,” says Eliot Cohen, who served as counselor to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in the George W. Bush administration. “It’s the same cast of oddballs and has-beens and kooks he’s had before.” Earlier this year Cohen co-authored a letter signed by 121 GOP national-security elites, saying Trump’s foreign policy “is wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle. He swings from isolationism to military adventurism within the space of one sentence.” Cohen says the number of defectors has only grown since then. “A week doesn’t go by without more people wanting to sign on.”

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote:It's partly why I favor the isolationist this time around.
I wonder how much this attraction to isolationism is about a mindset. Those here who are willing to hold their noses and vote for Trump are also those who dream of getting far away from everyone else to their own isolated place in the woods. I am not belittling that desire. To each his own. I just find it interesting.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Ego wrote:
jennypenny wrote:It's partly why I favor the isolationist this time around.
I wonder how much this attraction to isolationism is about a mindset. Those here who are willing to hold their noses and vote for Trump are also those who dream of getting far away from everyone else to their own isolated place in the woods. I am not belittling that desire. To each his own. I just find it interesting.
:lol: You may be right.