I loved my job.....

Favorite quotations, etc.
captgwg

Post by captgwg »

I loved my job, but I love early retirement more. While working, I would tell others about my dreams of self actualization by not working, and they would always come back with the non sequitur "but, I love my job". I learned to respond "I'm going to something not away from something". The ability to control my own universe outweighs all the benefits of a job.
None of my colleagues or acquaintances understood why I was going to retire so young. I was leaving a whole lot of money on the table and getting way overpaid for what I was doing and getting along gingerly with my co-workers. Always, when I meet other people and mention I'm retired they say "your too young to be retired, what do you do all day". My unspoken thought is always why didn't you have a plan to retire early too. I did nothing that's not easily replicable.
For those on the fence on giving up a job that you love and leaving beaucoup de money on the table, I would like to share a few of my surprises. First, it took me less than a half a day of retirement not to miss work. I don't even miss the people. My partner who I've retired with is enough for me. Rediscovering my wife without the draining effects of work has been a very pleasant surprise about retiring early. Secondly, I ended up riding my bicycle two hours everyday. I had no idea I would do something like that before I retired. There will be something in your future that you did not plan on too. Thirdly, I ended up losing 60 pounds and now am no longer obese, and I am in my recommended weight range. Controlling my own universe means I can control exactly what and when I want to eat and when I want to exercise. That was not possible when I worked.
The ERE blog is probably my favorite blog on the net. The spirit behind our Dear Leader, Jacob, is inspirational. I find the "early retirement" blog lacking. Too many people there start off "I have 3 million dollars is that enough to retire after I turn 67".

B

Post by B »

How old were you when you retired? What field did you work in?

Dienekes

Post by Dienekes »

Recently, a good coworker friend said, "Yeah, I could probably retire earlier than 65 but I'm afraid of being bored." Of course, he always talks about being bored at work! My mind didn't think quick enough at the time to point this out to him.
I'm reading the Blue Zone after hearing about it on this forum, and there is a 75 year old Sardinian who walks 5 miles (sometimes rides his donkey) to tend his sheep after dinner (and after a very long workday). He has been doing it virtually his entire life. Wow! No wonder the Sardinians are outliers in regards to living to 100.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

On people who say: "I have 3 million dollars is that enough to retire after I turn 67." I read somewhere (I think it was here) that if you have to ask that question, the answer is no.
I too am interested in some more details from you. Basics such as what percent you saved for how long, and also whether you are "extreme" retired or just "early."

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Congrats on ER and your weight loss! Great story.

captgwg

Post by captgwg »

Life is complicated. I'll give easy answers to what are really complex questions. I was going to quit my job when I was 49 about 3 years ago. I told them I wanted to go actualize myself instead of working. They let me bring my job with me to my new retirement local here in the southwest (Las Cruces, NM) for about 2 years. I've been retired for one year.
My time working from home taught me it wasn't the people that bothered me about work it was my commitment to being completely focused on work when I was working. (It's something to do with being an INTP, I suspect).
I saved only the max IRA and 401k while working. Careers are insidious. The higher salary and freedom of working on what you want start happening near the end of the "career". I was a mathematician. I had one piece of knowledge that most ignored. I understood that house prices were out of synch with reality and sold my house because of that and moved into an apartment and changed my portfolio into 70% bonds/30% equity. (Dean Baker of the Washington Post and other data strongly supported what was obvious to only those who sought it out on the internet, because mainstream sources just didn't understand the housing pricing data).
@Dien, That's a lot of what I'm saying. I was usually bored during work hours. That's why I'm so surprised by other peoples' reaction when I say I'm retired and they say "what do you do all day".
@dragon, I retired early not extreme. Extreme makes complete sense to me. When I was 18 that's what I wanted to do. Things happen. I see nothing wrong with it. Retirement has opened up paths I never thought about. The day before I retired I could run about 100 yards. One day last week I ran 7 miles. Running and bicycle riding are free. They are activities that I never thought about doing while work was draining me.
I would like to restate my main point. Retirement will lead to paths that you had no idea would happen until you retire. Do what it takes to retire as early as possible within your tolerance limits. After you retire, it's possible to start doing great things you never imagined. It is that good.

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

@ Captgwg:
Hi..I just returned from a week long vacation to Las Cruces (was there over the Christmas ..La Posta..Old Mesilla..White Sands..Cloudcroft..Organ Mtn hikes etc). Was staying close to the UNM area in one of the hotels on Triviz.
Have to say I kind of liked Las Cruces (took me a few days to get used to the pace of life..first couple of days I felt as though it was very quiet/slow..I am from the California Bay Area).
Could you talk a bit about why you picked Las Cruces? I've been looking at New Mexico as a place I woudl like to move to but can't quite decide between the northern vs southern part of the state (have been to Taos, Santa Fe, Albq..and liked those places too)
I like the thought of "retirement will lead to paths that you had no idea would happen till you retire"...I have found this to be true in other areas of life also like relationships etc (part of what keeps life interesting in my opinion)
I am 38, plan to be FI by 45 and then ...who knows...(other than ample time to hike, bike, read, plant a garden, make wine? etc.)
Another INTP.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I would have probably stayed in the US Army until they carried me out feet first. The military for some (like myself) is/was neither a job, a career, a vocation, but it was a lifestyle. It was family, home and life itself. I know this sounds icky to some who will be reading it. It is a culture. I found great depth in living the lifestyle. There were times I could not bear to imagine not being in the Army. I was US Army first, a citizen second, and maybe there were other titles I could have come up with third and fourth. Family and Army go hand in hand. Retirement was always "out there somewhere" and you knew you would have to, but almost dreaded it. The thought of one day "standing down" from active duty was dreary to behold.

Now I never would expect most to understand what I have said here. It must sound insane to many. But that is indeed and truthfully how I felt about it. They ease the blow by a nice transition from US Army to US Army Retired. They try and make it seem like you finished your duty and sat down for a while. I am still very active in many ways such as Veteran's Organizations, and on the Field Artillery Board as a retired member. Retired soldiers are kept very up to date by the Army.
Here is the thing. It is your age. You really can't hang with it after 60. In some cases senior officers and NCO's can stay until 62 by waiver. These are tough to get through Dept of Army. Age works against you as it should. Age tells you it's time to clock out and do the retired thing. I understand that fully, and more even every day. You know in your heart of hearts it's time to check out of the net, you just can't admit it, so they do it for you.

Yeah, I loved it--still do.

captgwg

Post by captgwg »

@freedom, I tried to maximize weather and minimize housing cost in picking my retirement location. In 2007/08, when I was doing my analysis, most of the country's house prices were out of my range. Florida, for example, was unaffordable by me. I also wanted a new home to minimize unwanted variabilities and Las Cruces always seem to have those. My other requirement was to live in a town with a good big university presence.
and, Las Cruces is at 4000 ft altitude. A very sweet spot for Southwest desert weather. Tucson at 2000 is bloody hot in the summer, too hot to ride my bike comfortably in the summer even a 7am which I have done in Tucson in the summer but it's very uncomfortable. At 7000 ft in Santa Fe it's too cold in the winter to ride my bike. Even for the non bike rider altitude will make a difference. Also, freedom_2018, you mention hiking. The hiking clubs out here are amazing. They go places which are completely off the beaten path and are quite beautiful. They meet three times a week.
@Hspencer, First, thank you for your service to our country. Your experiences are very interesting, and I think we understand them very well. As a mathematician with a strong analytical streak, at work I used to love knowing more and more about less and less until eventually I knew everything about nothing. Loving what you have to do is a more valuable perspective than not. Going to something instead of running away from something is more profitable (pulling is better than pushing) perspective for the individual.