Best lessons learned from Jacob

Favorite quotations, etc.
murpheyw

Post by murpheyw »

Mine = multiplying your monthly expenditures by 300(=12/0.04)
What is yours?

Q

Post by Q »

The latte factor expanded into that equation was the post that pulled me in actually...

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

The realization that we can be perfectly happy on a student budget and with an RV for home. For me that was revolutionary.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

1) Investing for cash flow

2) what Concojones said, even though I don't do it, it's nice to know it is possible

3) Not needing $2 million + to be able to retire

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

There's probably more than a few lessons that I haven't even recognized. I think I'll wait for the book and it will be much easier to discriminate what I learned from ERE

(from what I "fore-knew"), and enumerate a list for you all.
But here's one that is more of an example, a pattern for success: how to create a social network that steadily grows (but not unsustainably) and does not devolve into flame wars. I can think of only a few instances in the comments section of the ERE blog where a troll appeared, was given a quick response, and then ignored as if nothing happened. There has been plenty of dissent, but it has always been civil and often mutually respectful. I find a lot of value in being able to consult the blog (and now this forum) without disruption by off-message rants. ERE says he's not so good with people, but I think the ERE "way" demonstrates a natural, perhaps latent leadership capability on his part. If I were to either set out to create a social network, or find that what I was doing was creating a network as a side effect, I would look to the ERE course as a useful and successful pattern.

ScottfromMenominee

Post by ScottfromMenominee »

Not only the possibility of retiring with less than $1,000,000, but that it could be done in about 5 years.

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

Spending more money upfront to buy quality products and being able to sell them later for about the same price. Seems obvious now, but I've made a lot of purchases in the past where price was my only deciding factor.
I started implementing this idea in my work tool purchases, and it is far more satisfying to work with higher quality tools than the junk I used to buy.

Q

Post by Q »

Crowbar, Cycling, 21 day make-over (nearly best post(s) ever), Dogs of the Dow...

firefighter

Post by firefighter »

Eating less (or no) meat.
-FF

AnonymouserX

Post by AnonymouserX »

To buy quality, used goods and to really think about whether the items I'm purchasing are truly necessary. I'm also trying to learn to fix things for myself.

futuredoctor

Post by futuredoctor »

That it's possible to save 80% of your income and live on $6,000 a year!

Marius

Post by Marius »

Smart cost cutting lets you:

- save most of your income

- retire after a very short career

- live off a very small portfolio

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Seeing the necessary choices required to live on $6,000-$7,000 per year. Knowing that they're not so awful that I couldn't do it if the situation required it.

Macs

Post by Macs »

That whole 'save 75% of your income' idea - because I really didn't it believe when I first saw it.
Then I sat down and did some simultaneous equations, and WOW! It's true!
This more than anything brought home to me the big concept about being wealthy - it's not the income that counts, it's the spending. Since I found the blog I've become a lot wealthier on the same wages.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Lead by example.

futuredoctor

Post by futuredoctor »

Ah, that's a good one, Matthew.