Yet another article profiling extreme savers

Favorite quotations, etc.

vexed87

Re: Yet another article profiling extreme savers

Post by vexed87 »

It's funny, a family of 4 that are living well on $14,000 no longer seems so extreme to me. The article didn't actually say a great deal, mostly that the family saves all their receipts and keeps a spreadsheet of their finances, so in essence they are careful with their money. Is this supposed to shocking the general population?

I'm pretty sure even my non-frugal friends are doing this, not to help track savings, but to work out how much they can afford spend on gadgets and beer. :)

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

You're unsurprised by a family of 4 living on c. £1k less than the UK minimum wage for one adult working a 35 hour week? At first inspection, that's pretty impressive. Then you find the obvious gimmick that makes it all possible - a $28,000 house. We'd struggle to buy a former crack den with no roof in most of the UK for that ;)

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Yeah, housing situation certainly isn't comparable. But with a paid off house, general day to day expenses need not be so different. I don't think they will be saving a great deal on that income though, and budgeting for every minutiae, as she described, would be a necessity.