Get discounts with a phone call

Favorite quotations, etc.
il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi ERErs,

I'm happy to share with you this little experiment I did yesterday.
I called my Internet provider telling them that I'm paying too much and I want to change contract.

I think the words "change+contract" triggers something in the call center people, and I got a 5eur discount for 6 months without even asking :)
I then tried the same with the insurance company, where I have all my insurances together (motorbike, van, house, liability... yes I'm *almost* frugal!).

I told them that I'm paying too much and the agent checked what he could do for me...

After some minutes waiting, he was able to give me a 10% (~100eur/year) discount without reduce my coverage.
So, with 2 calls and 15 minutes I cut a little my monthly expenses, WOW!!
Ciao

D

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I called to cancel our landline about 2 weeks ago and right before hanging up said:
"Oh by the way, I see you're offering new customers a faster DSL speed than I get AND they pay $5 less per month."
"I'll see what I can do, sir."
Without any further action on my part, I was upgraded by about 3x the speed I had before and had a cut of $5/month in price.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi Kevin,

good to hear that this doesn't happen only in Holland, so the lesson learned is to call them up often and complain about the prices... it may actually work :)